Some questions on wine making…..

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey do you guys have any resources to look into aside from internet searches such as good books/videos etc for wine making? Anything that gives really good thorough information to the process and understanding it? I’ve got a lot to learn. Kind of funny as I know nothing much about it. I am looking through some of the threads on this site as well.

Okay, I’ll think I’ll try the standard way of winemaking a go for a few rounds for research and learning purposes. Definitely wouldn’t hurt as it would be educational. I’m definitely more interested in the natural fermentation process though.

I did go ahead and rack the peach wine and added a campden tablet. I’ll also let it sit for a couple months and see what I have. 😆

The recommendations on using a commercial wine yeast was appreciated. I’ll look into it but am still on the fence with that. Mainly because the appeal of using a natural yeast from the fruit itself just seems more norm to me if that makes sense.

I’m completely out of my area of expertise on all of this but wouldn’t there be more of a benefit from the product as a whole if it can be created as a naturally as possible? Any of you guys have experience with both methods of fermentation and prefer one over the other?

Also thank you all for answering my questions and providing input. I don’t know what I’m doing! Yet!! 🤣
I think you're making a wise choice for "standard" wine making. It will provide a good foundation.

After that, experiment to your hearts content!! You may fall in love with natural yeast - good for you. You may decide it's not for you - won't know until you try.

All you really need to make wine is a flavor element, sugar, yeast. When you start adding enzymes, acid, and tannin (which are all natural) you affect appearance, flavor, aroma, and shelf life.

Keep learning and have fun!

I think you're making a wise choice for "standard" wine making. It will provide a good foundation.

After that, experiment to your hearts content!! You may fall in love with natural yeast - good for you. You may decide it's not for you - won't know until you try.

All you really need to make wine is a flavor element, sugar, yeast. When you start adding enzymes, acid, and tannin (which are all natural) you affect appearance, flavor, aroma, and shelf life.

Keep learning and have fun!
Thank you!!!

Hey do you guys have any resources to look into aside from internet searches such as good books/videos etc for wine making? Anything that gives really good thorough information to the process and understanding it? I’ve got a lot to learn. Kind of funny as I know nothing much about it. I am looking through some of the threads on this site as well.

For books try Ebay and Thriftbooks. I've been buying old used wine making books. They're interesting, procedures are dated, but you might find a good cheap book.

Yes to the bread. I’ve done both yeast from the store for bread as well as from the air for sourdough. I’m not interested in sourdough wine. 😂 was interested in the natural yeast from the skins of fruit. Thank you for your input. 😊
I think the point is, depending on where you prepare your ferment, yeast from other sources is actually present in the air and even in the house itself.

wineries who make wine with natural yeast from the grapes don’t have other yeast spores floating around

For books try Ebay and Thriftbooks. I've been buying old used wine making books. They're interesting, procedures are dated, but you might find a good cheap book.
There's a search option on this forum if you haven't found it. You'll get results on natural ingredients, recipes, techniques, mistakes. etc. Sometimes just asking questions or sharing progress with inspire the search terms.

Back