Some Basic Questions from Newbie

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bloodbeer

Junior
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

First of all, discovering this forum was a disaster for me. Why ? Because you guys are amazing, now i feel like an ignorant. All of them seem so complex !

I have brewed wheat beer before, yet i am not into making home-made wine. Due to expensive alcohol prices in Turkey, i am highly interested in stepping up to the next level - wine making.

I would like to go simple as i can by watching Youtube videos and reading your posts. Therefore, i would be appreciated if you could enlighten me.

Here is the recipe i intend to brew:

%100 juice without sugar or other any additives added
yeast (not the whole package)
sugar

add sugar to juice, stir.
add yeast. put airlock on.
wait few days until bubbles goes out. question: may i wait more than 6-7 days if i have to leave the city ?

filter, transfer to secondary carboy-bucket or whatsoever and put the airlock on again cross your fingers and keep waiting question: for how long and how may i understand its ready ?

question : shall i add campden tablets, yeast nutritient, pectic enzyme ? if yes, when ? which is vital ?

thank you very much. happy drinking.

Hi bloodbeer, i'm no expert but i think i've got the basics sorted, most times. Your wine making efforts will be made a lot easier if you can get hold of a hydrometer. They're not expensive, i'm sure you'd be able to buy them in Turkey.

That'll allow you to add the right amount of sugar to achieve the alcohol content you desire and it will also tell you how the initial fermentation is progressing and when it has finished - important stuff that takes out the guess work.

Generally, its better not to put the initial fermentation under airlock because yeast needs oxygen to proliferate and grow. It's good to stir the must around once or twice a day for that purpose. Once fermented, 5-15+ days depending on a lot of factors (get hydrometer) then you airlock and add chems. If you add campden tablet at the start, remember to wait 24 hours before pitching yeast.

I'd suggest not trying to understand everything all at once but concentrate on what needs to be done with the first primary fermentation and get yourself a hydrometer. Good luck.

Hi bloodbeer, i'm no expert but i think i've got the basics sorted, most times. Your wine making efforts will be made a lot easier if you can get hold of a hydrometer. They're not expensive, i'm sure you'd be able to buy them in Turkey.

That'll allow you to add the right amount of sugar to achieve the alcohol content you desire and it will also tell you how the initial fermentation is progressing and when it has finished - important stuff that takes out the guess work.

Generally, its better not to put the initial fermentation under airlock because yeast needs oxygen to proliferate and grow. It's good to stir the must around once or twice a day for that purpose. Once fermented, 5-15+ days depending on a lot of factors (get hydrometer) then you airlock and add chems. If you add campden tablet at the start, remember to wait 24 hours before pitching yeast.

I'd suggest not trying to understand everything all at once but concentrate on what needs to be done with the first primary fermentation and get yourself a hydrometer. Good luck.

Thank you very much pip.

I do have hydrometer, pbw - star-san cleaner, air syphon, gloves, mask and all other Breaking Bad - Heisenberg stuff.

Your words will be considered seriously, especially about i should not put the airlock on carboy-fermenter at the first fermentation.

Some people put a lid on and loose a little bit. Is that correct ?

Yep, you can do that, i just use a bit off thin material, just keep dust and bugs and stray hair out of the must and stir and aerate once or twice a day.

Yep, you can do that, i just use a bit off thin material, just keep dust and bugs and stray hair out of the must and stir and aerate once or twice a day.

seriously ? shall i stir and aerate during fermentation process ? i hope that would not infect my batch.

could you show me the material you used for ?

Thank you once more.

Material? You mean bucket, cloth or towel, big spoon etc...?

Just to to be clear, i'm talking about the initial primary fermentation. Once the fermentation is finished, or close to...so 1.000 on the hydrometer or below, then strain, add chems - if you choose to - and then add to carboy with airlock.

There shouldnt be a problem with infection. Just make sure everything is clean and sterilized before use.

The daily stir during primary fermentation is more to keep the must ingredients in suspension than anything. You do not need to stir so vigorously as to infuse O2. Stirring also helps the release of CO2 even at this stage

The daily stir during primary fermentation is more to keep the must ingredients in suspension than anything. You do not need to stir so vigorously as to infuse O2. Stirring also helps the release of CO2 even at this stage

i have found something like this from supermarket - used for pickling. may i use it like that or put a towel on with that lid ?

shall i stir right after adding the yeast or let them do the work for few days ?

thank you.

image.jpg

I've done half a dozen batches or so where I only stirred before pitching the yeast. There is plenty of O2 for fermentation without additional stirring. Even so I'll sometimes gently stir during primary just to stay involved with the process.

If you choose to not treat your must with campden tablets and wait the 24 hours you might not be able to reproduce your product. Or worse juice way have a yeast in it that is offensive.
But again not an expert.
Sounds like you know enough to have what you need.
I make mostly meads. Yeast neutreants are critical. There are some fruits that can be mixed into the must to help fill the menu for them. Like bananas and raisins lemon juice ect. But im sold on yeast neutreants from the start, and going to start step feeding.

Couple of things. Keep good notes, important if you find you have made a wine you would like to reproduce. Next is patience, patience, patience. Arne.

I've done half a dozen batches or so where I only stirred before pitching the yeast. There is plenty of O2 for fermentation without additional stirring. Even so I'll sometimes gently stir during primary just to stay involved with the process.
Yes, same here in terms of 'staying involved in the process,' that's very well put. I think the daily stir is my favorite job in the whole process - from bucket to bottle.

That container above looks good bloodbeer, but i can't really tell what its made of, is it glass or metal? If its used for pickling i imagine it will work fine.

I rehydrate yeast, according to yeast instructions, and stir it into the must.

Yes, same here in terms of 'staying involved in the process,' that's very well put. I think the daily stir is my favorite job in the whole process - from bucket to bottle.

That container above looks good bloodbeer, but i can't really tell what its made of, is it glass or metal? If its used for pickling i imagine it will work fine.

I rehydrate yeast, according to yeast instructions, and stir it into the must.

Yes according to label, it is made of glass. Thank you for double-checking.

I would like to start with %100 apple juice + lalvin d47 yeast + yeast nutritient and campden tablets.

I am gonna sterilize all equipments i use like sterilizing my own blood baby.

Juice + sugar + stir + campden tablets
Wait 24 hours
Add yeast
Put the lid on, loose a lil bit or perhaps put a towel on, correct ?

Wait until bubbles goes out

Use a coffee filter and transfer into secondary jar-carboy-bucket
Add yeast nutritient (stir?)
Put the airlock on and wait.

Edit : when it comes to taste of home-made wine, i really wonder how it tastes like.
It would be quite unrealistic to expect Le Chateu Something, however as a lawyer my salary is around 800 dollars (per fxxxxx month) and a bottle of crappy wine is around 5-6 dollars. Therefore i do not expect 7/10 or 8/10, 6/10 would be fine.

Last edited:
Apple takes for ever to clear but one gallon batches dont usually last long enough for sediment in the bottles.
Add k sorbate and back sweeten/boost apple flavor with apple juice concentrate to taste.
This is the wine I give folks that say they don't like wine.

Honestly, i dont have ability to access that kind of chemicals in my country.

I am open into any kind of other juices.

Sounds like a good plan bloodbeer, all i'd add is to take regular hydrometer readings and record them so you can keep track of the ferment's progress. And take notes of everything you do.

A cover on the primary fermenter , loose lid or cheesecloth, is to keep any debris or bugs from getting in. Many use an airlock but the risk of an overwhelming foam-up does not play well if confined too much. Besides it makes things easier for the CO2 to dissipate.

Honestly, i dont have ability to access that kind of chemicals in my country.

I am open into any kind of other juices.

I like sweeter wines
Apple is easy to loose the fuit flavor in my experience but is easy to flavor. What is avaiable. Ive added cherries and blueberrys these are free to me. And cranberries are cheap. But id use carrots and bananas if thats all I had

Latest posts

Back