Som questions on MLF

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian

I love this obsession
Reaction score
OK well I bought some juice buckets and inoculated the reds with Alpha bacteria. I also fed it. It is working well I can see small bubbles in the s type air lock. My question starts with racking. I racked out of the primary and then inoculated. I have not racked since. It has been about 3 week and there is quite a bot of sediment in the carboys. Should I rack it off the bulk of the sediment? I have read and I really do not get any direct answers. Most say just leave the sediment alone and some say stir it once a week. I am looking for advice. Thanks for any help!

OK well I bought some juice buckets and inoculated the reds with Alpha bacteria. I also fed it. It is working well I can see small bubbles in the s type air lock. My question starts with racking. I racked out of the primary and then inoculated. I have not racked since. It has been about 3 week and there is quite a bot of sediment in the carboys. Should I rack it off the bulk of the sediment? I have read and I really do not get any direct answers. Most say just leave the sediment alone and some say stir it once a week. I am looking for advice. Thanks for any help!

Hi Brian I too am new to mlf but I can tell this you need to keep it stirred every few days or at the least once a weak I've been stirring mine once every two days

Hi Brian I too am new to mlf but I can tell this you need to keep it stirred every few days or at the least once a weak I've been stirring mine once every two days
I hadn't noticed any other comment till I posted... Lol
Listen to cmason as he has experience and this is good to know... Tired of cleaning and sanitizing my spoon! Lol And was afraid of opening the vessel up to nasties

Thanks. That is what I am thinking as well. I was worried about opening it and not being able to sulfite but with the activity I don't think it will be an issue.

Latest posts

Back