Solid Vs Bored bung...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siwash

Reaction score
Hey folks, when/or do you switch from bored bung w/ airlock to a solid bung? I am reading a good book that brings up the troubling prospect of contaminated liquid (So2/water in airlock) entering into the vessel when atmospheric pressure and temps change (or when removing the airlock to test wine and liquid is invariably released into the vessel). My wines are all stable and "complete" and a just aging at this point (made from fresh grapes, btw). I have demis/carboys of both 2015 and 2016 vintages. I have always used the liquid filled airlocks right up until bottling

What do others here do?

thanks!!

I saw a post that refered to a vented cap. So I ask my local supply store guy and bought a stopper that still sllows gas out but resists letting air back in. No water to dry out no bugs getting in. And doesn't stick up. Ill be getting more.

I switch from an airlock to a silicone vented bung after degassing, or the 2nd racking using the all-in-one wine pump.

https://www.morebeer.com/products/silicone-stopper-breathable-carboy.html

Although it is vented, it can get pushed out if the wine is significantly degassing.

After another racking or two, I switch to the Head Space Eliminator (if I have a free one).

Last edited:
I use Saran Wrap. Although the current formula isn't 100% air impermeable it is pretty close. I've bulk aged up to 4 months without any issues - O2 or otherwise. BTW, the warp will convex and concave according to changes in atmospheric conditions. I use two rubber bands to assure a tight seal around the carboy neck.

I use Saran Wrap. Although the current formula isn't 100% air impermeable it is pretty close. I've bulk aged up to 4 months without any issues - O2 or otherwise. BTW, the warp will convex and concave according to changes in atmospheric conditions. I use two rubber bands to assure a tight seal around the carboy neck.

Why not get a stopper?

This batch , and I already plan to try to repeat, was 10lbs black berry honey with just enough very warm water to desolve it. Less than 2 quarts. Then fresh applee juice to top off 5 gallon. I let the juice settle over night and used only clear juice. Back sweetened with apple juice concentrate and a bottle of spple flavoring that a beer maker I met recomended. My record keeping was pretty diligent but I need a check list so I dont forget my abriviations, and dont forget anything. Records are what I need to work on most. Its my favorite creation so far . Do not believe it will last till apples are ripe again.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1490634526.280109.jpg
These are both on Morewine.com. The second one is a hood going around the lip, not inside. It also has some pretty horrible reviews. I like the waterless vented bung tho (with the option to close vent if needed). Probably gonna grab one. If works well then just one less thing to have to mess with
So meadmaker, you recommend I take it?

Last edited:
This batch , and I already plan to try to repeat, was 10lbs black berry honey with just enough very warm water to desolve it. Less than 2 quarts. Then fresh applee juice to top off 5 gallon. I let the juice settle over night and used only clear juice. Back sweetened with apple juice concentrate and a bottle of spple flavoring that a beer maker I met recomended.

Sounds wonderful. Do you plan to carbonate, or will it be still? I have some cyser I'm trying to decide which way to go (bubbly or not). I can't force carbonate it.

Still , I get a beerish note from sparkling that I dont care for.
And this one is for me.
Becareful of acid when back sweetening with concentrate. Citric and ascorbic acids will bring it up a bit. Im finnishing at 7ph strong with sg near 1.01.
This is the one for your buddy that says he doesn't like wine.

the site i mentioned earlier is 1/2 the price as pictured above and they are a pleasure to deal with. i also recommend their silicone 1 hole stopper for air locks and solid bung. they stay where you put then much better than rubber

cheers

Thanks folks... guess no to the solid bungs.. the breathable ones pictured above are only made for standard carboys unfortunately. The bulk of my wine is aging in 54L demis. I cannot find the breathable ones for anything other than a carboy.

funny someone should bring up the seran wrap idea... I used it on one of my demis b/c I didnt have a bung at that moment for it. You're right, the plastic reacts to the temps and pressure. It sucked the plastic in somewhat. Seems like a great seal actually... and no need to add water.

Maybe this is the way to go.

Thanks folks... guess no to the solid bungs.. the breathable ones pictured above are only made for standard carboys unfortunately. The bulk of my wine is aging in 54L demis. I cannot find the breathable ones for anything other than a carboy.

funny someone should bring up the seran wrap idea... I used it on one of my demis b/c I didnt have a bung at that moment for it. You're right, the plastic reacts to the temps and pressure. It sucked the plastic in somewhat. Seems like a great seal actually... and no need to add water.

Maybe this is the way to go.

vintable . com has bungs in all sizes. give them a call

cheers

Latest posts

Back