Soil pH

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Musirio

Reaction score
Hey guys! Trying to get a Vineyard set-up and have just received our soil tests back. All the results looks pretty good and the horticulturists that we've consulted said every looked good but they all noted on the pH 5.28.

I know that you want to stress the plant in order to get nice proportioned berries. Is this too low ? Can you affect the vgor of the vine with the pH ?
Is 5.28 too low ?

What impact would this have !?

Sorry about all the questions !

Thanks!

The exact best pH for your grapes depends on the variety of grape you plan on growing. Vinifera grapes like the pH a bit higher at around 5.9- 6.2. Hybrids and American grapes will tolerate a bit lower pH and optimum is around 5.7-6.0 . You are a bit on the low side for optimal growth, but it would support them alright and would let them be slightly stressed. If the pH is too low it ties up some of the needed nutrients and the grapes juice can be a bit out of balance. Personally I would try to adjust it up now before you plant the vines. It will be easier now than later after the vines are in the way and you can't incorporate the lime.

Hi Grapeman! Thanks for the info! We're going to bring it up with some lime. We're aiming for 6.0. We'll be planting - Leon Millot , Marechal Foch, Muscat and Lucie Kulhmann. We need early ripening varieties as here in nova scotia, unless planted correctly, have a harder time with the later ripening varieties!

ph concerns

My ph is 7.5-7.8 also. Did you do anything to try and reduce the ph before you planted? I am particularly interested in the Marquette and how they are doing.

Good day!

We put down lime before our last till last month.
We just finished our planting!

I'll be posting another thread about our planting.

Sorry, Fred. I missed your post earlier.

I did not amend my soil. Other marquette in my area does pretty well. Mine are just starting to bud out in there second year. They seems to grow fine after planting last year. But I don't have any more data than that. I am on very fertile soil with over the top organic matter. I think the hybrid grapes can have a wider tolerance range for pH. But Grapeman would be better equipped to answer that.

Can we trade so I can blend your soil with mine? My pH is 7.8 !!!
Most French regions are between 7 and 8 (Burgundy is closer to 8 than 7) which is due to the high prevalence of limestone in the soils... so, I would see this as a good thing. Around 7 to 8 also is better for mineral availability (https://goo.gl/images/XGqTNF). Australia's CSIRO (science intitute) has some good info about vigour at neutral vs acidic soils (up to 4 tonnes/hectare better performance)..

Hey guys! Trying to get a Vineyard set-up and have just received our soil tests back. All the results looks pretty good and the horticulturists that we've consulted said every looked good but they all noted on the pH 5.28.

I know that you want to stress the plant in order to get nice proportioned berries. Is this too low ? Can you affect the vgor of the vine with the pH ?
Is 5.28 too low ?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Is 5.28 too low ?

Thanks!
You may need to dose your soils with lime to get the pH up.. unfortunately this may be a yearly requirement, but most of Australia's vineyards are on circa 5.5 pH and the best ones apply lime and make great wine. Good luck :)

Latest posts

Back