Soil Ph test possible with Ph meter?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm no chemist, but I've always just put a couple tablespoons of soil in a cup of distilled water, mixed well, allowed to settle, then stuck the probe in the water.

I;m in the center of the city on a bluff overlooking John Deere factories and where International Harvester used to be. I'm guessing that with the factories in their day and when most heated with coal maybe it has caused my soil to be acidic, when maybe it shouldn't be. Also I know they used clinkers for fill here and there on my property. I had high Ph 3.77 with my grapes this year, and at the moment the leaves of some vines are showing magnesium deficiency. I did the dirt in the jar with distilled water and tested 5.9 Ph, so I spread lime today. Then I'll test again next spring. I was reading that East of the Mississippi, the Magnesium deficiency and High Ph can be related to soil acidity.. Thanks for the suggestions guys, or gals.

Latest posts

Back