soil ph adjusting

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gordonm

Reaction score
the soils up here in the northeast can be a little on the acid side. I need to adjust my soil by adding limestone. Can anyone tell me the best type of limestone to apply. thanks, gordon

This is something I have no experience with, but have been researching. See copy and paste below:

Adjusting soil pH

• Below 5.5: Bring up to 6.0 or 6.5 with lime. Dolomitic limestone will also help raise the magnesium value if it is low. Calcitic limestone will help raise calcium levels.
  • Above 7.0: Consider lowering to 6.5 or 6.0 with sulfur, or using acidifying fertilizers such as urea or ammonium sulfate.
Soil organic matter. Organic matter (OM) improves soil structure, moisture retention and fertility. Two to 3 percent is considered ideal for grapes. Nitrogen is released from organic matter at approximately 20 pounds N per acre per year for each 1 percent of organic matter present. So at the optimum 2 to 3 percent OM for grapes, there is 40 to 60 pounds N per acre per year released from the soil. Grapes grown on high organic soils tend to be less winter hardy. With the indeterminate growth habit of grapes, excessive N promotes vegetative growth late into fall, and shoots don’t have time to acclimate for winter.

Recommended application amounts for potassium and phosphorus will be listed on the soil test results. Nitrogen recommendations will also be listed. Usually, half the nitrogen should be applied at bud break and the other half at bloom. Nitrogen applications should be completed by veraison, allowing vines to take up and use the nitrogen during the growing season. Nitrogen applied during the mid to late summer will encourage vegetative growth into the fall season, when vines should be hardening off and preparing for dormancy.

And here is the source:

http://msue.anr.msu.edu/news/soil_s...idelines_for_interpreting_the_soil_test_resul

Dolomite sourced is more 'complete' as well. Split the application spring and fall if the feild is planted.

Burgundy is 7.5. Suggest lifting the high bracket of pH to say 8. There is also a need to understand pH regarding varietal selection. I do not know if tempranillo likes high pH but chardonnay and pinot noir do.

Latest posts

Back