Software

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MonB4V

Junior
Reaction score
Hey all I'm fairly new to homemade wine making, but I'm considering getting some software to track my batches as well as help with all the calculations. SO here are my main questions:
1.) What software if any do you use and why?
2.) Would you recommend that particular version, why or why not?
3.) What are the best free and paid software programs?

Hey all I'm fairly new to homemade wine making, but I'm considering getting some software to track my batches as well as help with all the calculations. SO here are my main questions:

I dont know of software but, this is what I use to track

View attachment winemakerslog.xls

I don't know of any software but I'm sure it's out there. I made up a sheet that I record my steps. Wine making is so easy you really don't need software. Notes are references for next time or if you have a problem to be able to see where you may have gone wrong.

I hang tags on all of my carboys for notes. if something went wrong or great i can transfer those notes to a notebook. Helps to remember what steps you have taken so far at a glance also.

Most important of all is DO keep good notes!
I learned that the hard way over the year I've been learning. Now I have a sheet saved on my lap top and immediately when added chemicals or making a batch, I enter it into the computer.

I started by writing down everything I did, added, smelled or thought, sticking the notes, neatly transcribed, into a 3-ring binder.

Now it's more like, "Where the heck is that bubble gum wrapper I wrote the notes for that batch on?"

I'm with Tom. If I am doing scratch wines (not kits) I use the wine makers log.

Otherwise with kits I just keep notes on the kit instructions and tag my wines.

I have toyed with writing some software, but I never have found the time. I use google to do my monitoring, a combination of google docs(docs.google.com) and google calendar (calendar.google.com)(to schedule rackings, bottling, etc). I'm pretty loose with the bottling, I won't do it until I think it's ready, but it's nice to put an event into the calendar and write in there exactly what I did/added/how it tasted/etc. Once it's bottled I copy all the entries into google docs with the recipe for the batch.

I will tag in addition so it's easier to see the status at a glance. I've got so many going on I need a program. :tz

I use both tags and the "XLS" i sent. The xls is for my permanent log

I reviewed Amphora Wine Log and decided to develop software for home winemaker. I am testing the software with data from recent batches. I would appreciate any comments that other home winemakers would like in software.

I have toyed with writing some software, but I never have found the time. I use google to do my monitoring, a combination of google docs(docs.google.com) and google calendar (calendar.google.com)(to schedule rackings, bottling, etc). I'm pretty loose with the bottling, I won't do it until I think it's ready, but it's nice to put an event into the calendar and write in there exactly what I did/added/how it tasted/etc. Once it's bottled I copy all the entries into google docs with the recipe for the batch.

Very good idea, I like the fact that everything is online, and that I can schedule and get automatic "reminders"

vtwinemaker, I'd love to help develop the sofeware in any way, just let me know what I can do

I created a paper form that I keep in a 3 ring binder. The binder is divieded in half. In the front I keep the wines that I am currently doing, sorted by date and in the back I keep the wines that are finished, sorted alphebetically.

I tag too, but also use an Excel program that I'd show you if I knew how. :b

Latest posts

Back