Software

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Grapeman posted a link to a site with sulfite calculator the other day. It is associated with a back room software program for both home and pro wineries. Seems very well priced. Does anyone have any experience with this program? We are looking to automate schedules, barrel management, spraying, inventory, etc. this program seems to do all of this. Too good to be true?

Tom are you looking at the Basic version or the Professional Version of the Amphora Log? Have you downloaded the trial to look at it? I checked them out a few years ago and thought it was overkill for me, but as we all grow it might be right for you and the price isn't bad. The list of features is impressive. Do a search on user reviews and see what others have found if any reported.

For those that want to see what we are talking about here is a link
http://www.fermsoft.com/amphora/index.php

Rich,
I was looking at both. I really do not see much difference at this time but it seems support is being emphasized to the pro end in the last year or so. I went through their patch logs. It appears they have one tech, no contact number, no address and no real corporate ID. I checked Whois and could find no info. Makes nervous on a business platform to start a journey that man not finish.
I agree it is complex and overkill but for the money there are segments we might be able to use.

Looks pretty good, but I'm with Rich, it does more than I need and all the options and things I don't need at the moment make it harder to use. But if I did need all those features it would be nice I think.

As an engineer, I've never been impressed with software written in Java, but for most non-dorks that doesn't matter.

Which makes me remember that I've been looking for a good project to get better at writing Python, maybe an "amateur" version of this kind of software would be a good one.

Debord
For a non- geek what's the difference in language? I have not heard of python :). A database that can handle back room and front room that is in hundreds not thousands would be great.

I don't want to hijack the thread with a java discussion, so I'll keep it short. I've just noticed over the years that the java programmers that I've worked with are the laziest, most undisciplined people. Plus I have used many java apps that were so bad it made me cringe. This app is actually pretty solid looking. So it's almost all anecdotal. I have also written code in java, and I find it to be the programming language equivalent of water wings. You might be able to jump in the deep end, but you're not going to do anything fun or dangerous.

Python, on the other hand, is an object oriented scripting language, and if you use linux you almost certainly have used a program written in python. It's very powerful and has great built in libraries that allow you to do so many cool things on all the major operating systems. Meaning: Write it once, it works on Windows, Mac, and Linux. Java is also cross platform like this, one of it's redeeming features, but it's not python.

More info: http://www.python.org

Latest posts

Back