Software help

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

majesticman

Junior
Reaction score
Is there software that is for a greenhorn like myself. I am starting with 1 and 5 gallon batches and the software I have seen is more suited for large quantities and inventories. I am scared I will come up with a good wine and not have records I can refer to. I tried to keep paper records on the first batch but I think my dog ate it or my nephew smoked it. :)

Pretty sad.... (ranting a bit)

Did a search on Software and found this thread. I have to say that Ive been pretty much a beer brewer and have dabbled with wine. Now dabbling a bit more. There is some incredible software out there for brewing beer. I assumed that this would be equally significant with wine making. This assumption was as wrong as you can be. There has to be 30 packages out there on managing your cellar. Perhaps because I'm new to the art of wine, but I just cant see why that is soo important at all. Label the wine, put it somewhere and your good to go. Just like brewing beer.

To say that there is no need for software.... I dont know... to me... seems like an insult. Kinda like... "Oh with beer, it's pretty complicated and to have a good software package would realy help you get and keep organized..... Wine making software... huh.... why....your just tossing some things together and hoping for the best." Obviously wine making is NOT like this. Yeah sure you can write it out in logs. Hey before the beer brewing software came out thats what we were doing. We have 'evolved' past that sort to speak. With all of the options out there for wine making..... ALL THE OPTIONS..... you would think there should be a pretty good package out there that is real simple to use by now.

IMO, you don't need to buy specialized software. How about a spreadsheet or word processor program? Create a folder on your hard drive, and have one file per batch. The files could be named something like 'yyyy-mm-##-descriptor' resulting in names such as...

2008-01-01-banana - first wine in January 2008 is a banana wine
2008-01-06-WE Merlot - sixth wine in Jan 2008 is a Winexpert Merlot

You can create a template for yourself or just make it up as you go. Info about when & how the batch was made, tasting notes, etc, would be easily included. You could even include suggestions about what you might change next time.

Steve

IMO, you don't need to buy specialized software. How about a spreadsheet or word processor program? Create a folder on your hard drive, and have one file per batch. The files could be named something like 'yyyy-mm-##-descriptor' resulting in names such as...

Steve

That's the way I do it :)
It gives you freedom on whatever to write about the batch
you want.

Luc

Here is a free online system.

With all of the options out there for wine making..... ALL THE OPTIONS..... you would think there should be a pretty good package out there that is real simple to use by now.

http://www.vintnerresources.com

It is still beta but it is working and its free. If there are features that you need that are not there, let me know and I will add them if I can.

Here is an online winemakers log and its free!

http://www.vintnerresources.com

This is still in the Beta stage but it should all work. If there additional features that you need that are not there, let me know and I will see what I can do about getting it added.

Couldn't register. Fill out page and goes to a page that says Not Authorized to view. No confirmation of registration.

Well sh..! I mean...Shoot! OK. Think I got it figured out. You should be good to go now. Sorry about that. New site... still got a few bugs to work out.

Last edited:
Not to step on any toes or anything... I am putting together a log book using excel. When it's done I'll try to find someplace to put a web page example of it and if anyone wants a copy I will email it to them. I'll keep y'all posted on progress. First version should be ready by Friday night or saturday...

As promised... you can view my beta version ;) wine log if you go to this link.
http://webpages.charter.net/thenemos/Index.htm
It consists of a master log page, a page for each batch of wine, a page with S.G. > Alc content breakdown, and a blank template page for each additional batch you add to the book. If you use the S.G. page and input your PAC (potential alc content) values according to your initial and final sg values it will automatically calculate your wines Alc content base on those SG/PCA values.

If anyone would like the excel file just let me know and I'll pass it along. Email me at [email protected] and put Wine Logbook in the subject line...
:) have a great weekend all!!

Last edited:
Back