Soft water

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimnjan

Junior
Reaction score
Doing research before trying my 1st batch.
The water in my town doesn't taste too good(Understatement!). We had an RO system installed for drinking & have softened water for everything else.

Is soft water OK to use for a concentrate kit? Should I go with the RO?
(I'm wondering if the RO would remove any minerals that might be benificial.)

Should I play it safe & buy bottled spring water?

Is soft water OK for cleaning/sanitizing solutions like Easy Clean & pot meta?

I'm planning on starting a Vintner's Reserve World California Trinity Red in a week or so.
Thanks, Jim

To be on the safe side I'd go with the RO water. I also have a softener but have elected to use highly filtered water (Water Mill Water .35$/gal where I live) because of the perceived salt in the softened water. When investing time money and energy in a wine making project why take a chance on a cheap component like water.

Jim:

I have always used RO water to make up the kits. The softened water should be great for cleaning, etc.

Steve

Thanks for the nod to RO water.
I once read somewhere to NOT use distilled water, & I thought RO might also not be adviseable.

Jim

Thanks for the nod to RO water.
I once read somewhere to NOT use distilled water, & I thought RO might also not be adviseable.

There are a lot of different methods and opinions in this hobby/business. I'm not always sure that people's statements are based on fact. I will usually try to present all sides of the story when answering a question (but I ain't perfect), and sometimes I don't feel like typing in a long response.

I was originally told that if I thought the water tasted good (or I liked to drink the water), then it was fine for wine making. Since my preference is RO water, that is what I use. If your local water tastes good to you, then use it. Some people will fill a pail with their chlorinated tap water the night before and allow the chlorine to dissipate overnight (remember to sanitize the pail).

Distilled water. Yes, some people say not to use it. Other people use it. I don't use it because I don't like the taste.

Personal opinion, I guess.

Steve

Ive heard that wine needs all the minerals in a water to properly ferment and thats why soft water and distilled water arent great for using. Just what Ive heard but must say that if you dont drink the water, dont ferment with the water.

There are a lot of different methods and opinions in this hobby/business. I'm not always sure that people's statements are based on fact. I will usually try to present all sides of the story when answering a question (but I ain't perfect), and sometimes I don't feel like typing in a long response.

I was originally told that if I thought the water tasted good (or I liked to drink the water), then it was fine for wine making. Since my preference is RO water, that is what I use. If your local water tastes good to you, then use it. Some people will fill a pail with their chlorinated tap water the night before and allow the chlorine to dissipate overnight (remember to sanitize the pail).

Distilled water. Yes, some people say not to use it. Other people use it. I don't use it because I don't like the t
Personal opinion, I guess.

Steve

This is one of the better responses I've seen. I don't know how many experts are in the forum but I'd guess that most of the advice given here has been gained from personal experiences. So when it comes right down to it, the advice given is just opinions from people trying to help others to learn from the knowledge gained from years of experience. From time to time we'll clash but that's just part of the learning curve.

Latest posts

Back