sodium metasulphite and potasium metasulphite

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisber

Reaction score
what is the difference between sodium metasulphite and potasium metasulphite???????????????

Chemically and for the home wine-maker: Cost and strength. Potassium (K) usually costs more than sodium (Na). If I recall rightly K is stronger, but I could be wrong.

Legally for the commercial wine-maker: Na cannot be used as an addition to wine because of the concerns regarding sodium in the diet.

Some folks use K for additions to their wine, and Na for sanitizing. Others us one for everything.

Steve

Sodium is stronger by around 10% and a little cheaper at least everywhere Ive seen it but I dont need any more sodium intake in my life but I do use it for sanitizing only because I bought a 1 lb bag by accident instead of k-meta as they were mixed in where i bought them.

Availibilty

I bought sodium meta because that seemed to be the only thing my supplier sold.

There is a Location field in the Control Panel. Please fill it in. Then maybe somebody will be able to give you some idea where to get K-meta.

Unless you are concerned about the sodium contest, Na-meta is just fine for both sanitizing and wine additions.

Steve

Na-meta is fine and actually a little bit stronger as a sanitizer.

NA-Meta

It might have been that I didn't know what I was looking for at the time. Anyway, I've bought more than enough and have been using it exclusively. No ill effect as of yet...

Latest posts

Back