Sodium Metabisulphite

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbwenger

Reaction score
ok, to finalize the batch i was working on, (Creshendo Syrah), for those of you that have helped me and listened to me vent before about the stirring process and release of CO2, i have this question. I was afraid i might have given the wine too much exposure to oxygen, so should i

1) add 3/8 teaspoon of metabisulphite and let it sit for 3 months -- would require a two hour transport to getinto acellar

2) Check for sulfites using a titrate test kit

3) Bottle the way it is

--if i do add 3/8 teaspoon of metabisulphite, could i bottle, and will the sulfites subside through aging in the bottle??? I would prefer to bottle soon, because i'm nervous of the summer heat and my lack of climate control in my house (no AC)

How long do you plan to age this?

I would suggest to skip the testingand go ahead and add the 3/8 teaspoon of meta and bottle if has settled enough for the fines to drop out. This amount will not be overkill for the total sulfites since you stirred the heck out of it and most likely lost some.

Getting the wine to a place that has the proper tempis a smart move
smiley32.gif
....relax...It will be fine....
smiley4.gif
Edited by: masta

i'm looking at aging for 1-2 years.... so should i add the metabisulphite and wait for a few months in the carboy, or can i add the metabisulphite and bottle??

nevermind, i see what you wrote about adding and bottling... thanks Masta!!!

Latest posts

Back