Sodium Metabisulfite for cleaning my equipment

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jay2020

Junior
Reaction score
I ran out of the packets which came with my kit, so I ordered this from Amazon.

I mix 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) with 1 gallon of warm water. When I shake it up, it doesn't seem to get as cloudy, or smell as strong, as what came with the kit. Is this ok to use for cleaning my equipment? Is the concentration wrong?

Sodium-Metabisulfite.JPG

I ran out of the packets which came with my kit, so I ordered this from Amazon.

I mix 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) with 1 gallon of warm water. When I shake it up, it doesn't seem to get as cloudy, or smell as strong, as what came with the kit. Is this ok to use for cleaning my equipment? Is the concentration wrong?

View attachment 66521
I can’t see your photo, so I don’t know what product you have, but will assume that it’s as your thread indicates, Na Metabisulfite. First, I’d use 3TBS/ gallon, it will be nic3 and clear after you mix it in, not cloudy. A TBS of citric acid will drop the pH and increase it’s effectiveness. Use this ONLY for sanitizing, do not use it in your wine, K (potassium) metabisulfite is the one you use in the wine, the Na version can make the wine taste salty.

Latest posts

Back