Sodium Metabisulfate Mistake

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewski

Junior
Reaction score
I'm just getting stared in winemaking and need a little help. I have 5 gallons of Grape concentrate going now and looking good. The problem came on batch #2 which is apple from concentrate. I have it in the primary fermenter but it does not appear to be fermenting. I think my mistake was made by putting in 2.5 tsp of Sodium Meta and maybe should have been only ~1 tsp. It was put in after I heated water to dissolve the sugar and juice. I also added yeast nutrient at the same time and let it stand for 24 hours. I then added the yeast. There seems to be nothing happening. Is there somethng that I can do to save this batch? Should I make another batch with no sodium Metabisulfate and mix them together, then try to restart?

What's the source of your apple concentrate? Is it made for fermenting? If it's made for drinking as apple juice it may have sorbate added to prevent fermentation.

Fred

Last edited:
WOW!
1/4 tsp is all you needed. AERATE the (blank) out of it. Splash from bucket to bucket. It will take a few days (hopefully) to get it out. Do NOT snap the lid down. Your yeast is probably dead so get another. After a few days make a starter for the new yeast.

The juice has no additives.

Thanks! I will aerate the living #@$ out of it and give it a few days. I'll let you know how it goes.

Man Tom is right on as usual. Did you use Sodium or Potassium Meta? That much Sodium may alter the taste in the wrong direction. Either way that is a ton of Metabisulfite ! 2.5 tsp vs .25 tsp hum. One thing for sure though is that it is sterile. Keep us posted and dont give up yet.

Last edited:
Okay, here is what I did. Aerated the you know what out of it. I took a 3/8"dow rod 20" long and drilled holes in it every inch up from the bottom about 90 degrees off from each other, about 8 holes in all. The holes are just big enough for 10" lengths of nylon weedeater string to fit through. I put it in my drill and it worked great. After I finished, I put an airlock on it to watch for fermentation and in no time it took off. I may have it started now. I just hope it taste ok. We'll see.

On the amount of sodium metabisulfate that I used, I figured out what i did. The package says 1/4 tsp per 5 gallons and I thought it was 1/4 tsp per gallon so in I actually put in 1 1/4 tsp for the 5 gallon which is still way to much. I better learn to be more careful on the label reading!

Thanks for the input from all!

Last edited:
You are going to have to do this for a few days and then add another yeast packet. I would even go as far a to spalash rack this a few times from bucket to bucket a few times, be very nasty as thats 5 times the amount of sulfite and that binds into the wine. The yeast you used before is probably shot!!!! I would also make a starter out of this yeast and slowly introduce that must a little at a time to get the yeast acclimated to the high amount of sulfite and add some again until the starter is 3 times the size as it was when you started it and then add it back to you must with a temp of around 75* to also help it get going.

hell, I'd triple of double the batch. condenced apple juice doent cost that much

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. If it doesn't kick pretty soon I will do just that. It is working some but not sure if it will really get going or not.

I added a few sticks of cinnamon and the flavor is nice. It would be great to have some of this as young wine for Christmas.

If its fermenting then I wouldnt worry that much as it should be fine. Some wines will get crazy foamy and others just sizzle a little with no foam at all. Watch the sg and note it every few days and youll know if its still cooking. Another way to tell is to get your head in there and listen for the sizzle like a soda pop.

Again, thanks all. The stuff is spitting, fizzing, foaming and looking very good. The aerating and splashing from bucket to bucket worked.

Surprised me also. I did allow the room temperature to increase from 75F to 80F. I did not have to add another yeast starter. I will check the SG in a day or two and rack and airlock probably this weekend.

This is all I needed............another hobby! This is very enjoyable and pretty addicting. I am also into model airplanes which is also a addicting. Now I can build models while sipping my wines!

Kevin

Back