Sodium Meta or Potassium Meta?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lv2mkwn

Junior
Reaction score
Hi all. I am a new member to this forum and a new winemaker. I have purchased Potassium Meta to use as a sanitizer and also campden tablets cause the dosage is probably easier. is there any difference between sodium meta and potassium meta and is one more preferred than the other. I was going to use 2 oz /gal as a sanitizer. thanks ...I love this site....very informative

One is a little stronger than the other (I think potassium). Potassium usually costs more than sodium. People trying to avoid sodium in their diet should use Potassium. If there is any chance that you will be selling the wine, you must use potassium in many jurisdictions.

Otherwise, no real diff.

Steve

Actually, I believe the Sodium is stronger. I use the Sodium for sanitizing because it is cheaper and a bit stronger. The recommended dose is 3 Tablespoons per gallon of water for a sanitizer. It will last for quite a while. I just dumped a bucket of it I have had for 6 months. It still burnt my nose when I opened the bucket.

I use potassium for additive to the wine although sodium will do just fine. You don't put enough in a kit wine to even be noticeable per Tim Vandergift from Wine Expert but many feel more comfortable using potassium.

Smurfe :)

Actually, I believe the Sodium is stronger. I use the Sodium for sanitizing because it is cheaper and a bit stronger. The recommended dose is 3 Tablespoons per gallon of water for a sanitizer. It will last for quite a while. I just dumped a bucket of it I have had for 6 months. It still burnt my nose when I opened the bucket.

I use potassium for additive to the wine although sodium will do just fine. You don't put enough in a kit wine to even be noticeable per Tim Vandergift from Wine Expert but many feel more comfortable using potassium.

When sanitizing with Potassium metabisulfite, do I just let the bottles air dry? Or do I have to rinse them with cold tap water?

No need to rinse. I use the bottling tree so the bottles are able to drip out any excess while I am working on the other bottles or filling them.

When sanitizing with Potassium metabisulfite, do I just let the bottles air dry? Or do I have to rinse them with cold tap water?

I rinse the outside of the bottle but not the inside. I only rinse the outside because when the sulfite dries, it leaves a white residue on the bottle. I just let them drain on the bottle tree then. After I have the wine in the bottle I wipe them down again to get any remaining residue from the sulfite's off the bottle.

Latest posts

Back