Sodium Hydroxide to clean Flex tanks

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ohio Don

Junior
Reaction score
I am trying to figure out how to make 2% Sodium Hydroxide solution to clean Flex tank. How many PPM? I am unable to find anything online.

Why in the world would you want to use a caustic like sodium hydroxide to clean a flex tank? Something like PBW” (Powdered Brewery Wash”) or even Oxyclean should be quite sufficient.

Why in the world would you want to use a caustic like sodium hydroxide to clean a flex tank? Something like PBW” (Powdered Brewery Wash”) or even Oxyclean should be quite sufficient.

Mold in the tank and it’s what the manufacturer recommended

20 grams of sodium hydroxide with water up to 1 liter would be a 2% solution. I believe the Flextank manual indicates using 2 or 3% caustic solution for cleaning. I agree with Mike above, I've been using the unscented Oxyclean with good results. Playing around with dry caustic is dangerous if you are unfamiliar with the material.

I use StarSan in a garden sprayer (new) and dump out anything that puddles.

20 grams of sodium hydroxide with water up to 1 liter would be a 2% solution. I believe the Flextank manual indicates using 2 or 3% caustic solution for cleaning. I agree with Mike above, I've been using the unscented Oxyclean with good results. Playing around with dry caustic is dangerous if you are unfamiliar with the material.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back