Sodium carbonate vs sodium percarbonate and barrels

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob S

Reaction score
When I bought my 30 L oak barrel, the supplier sold me some soda ash (sodium carbonate). I've been burning sulphur sticks when kept empty and the instructions with the barrel say to use soda ash to clean it. Lately on a barrel supplier's webpage I read this is not the best choice as it strips out too much oak and a better alternative is sodium percarbonate. So I tried to find out what is the difference between the two: "Sodium carbonate is also known as soda ash or soda crystals. Sodium percarbonate is also known as sodium carbonate hydrogen peroxide and sodium carbonate peroxyhydrate. To me the two sound pretty similar or quite close. Yet is sodium percarbonate the much better alternative and do some of you prefer to use percarbonate rather than the carbonate?

Thanks,
Rob

Oxyclean appears to include sodium percarbonate and carbonate (soda ash). I guess it is still better than using straight soda ash, but appears Proxyclean would contain sodium percarbonate without any soda ash. Might be an even better alternative? I'm unable to find any from winemaking sources in Canada, but readily available from sources that sell it for cleaning other things. Always a bit hesitant if it is not from winemaking suppliers, as would not want to introduce unwanted chemicals in there. I will write to one of these suppliers of Proxyclean to see before using.

Thanks,
Rob

Why the need for harsh chemicals at all? Sounds like you’ve maintained the barrel properly.
If there’s reason to suspect any nasties then I’d think making sure it’s clean takes priority over stripping oak essence—especially if it’s older. But if newer why lose oak if ya don’t have to?

Curious, At what point is using chems like soda ash needed to clean a barrel as opposed to hot water rinse and kmeta soaking?

There are sulphur residues that are black left behind after burning sulphur sticks for 6 months. Last year I tried to see if just soaking with citric acid and SO2 overnight and rinsing and it did not remove the sulphur. If sulphur residues remain and I put in the wine, there could be H2S issues as a result. A barrel maker wrote back to me a few moments ago and suggested I try some mild carbomates and he suggests i.e. Scott Labs 'Oak Restorer'. I might ask them about their products.

Back