Sodastream possibilities......

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibglowin

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Anyone else seen this cool gizmo in the stores or online?

FountainJet.jpg

Carbonates 500ml of water in 30 seconds. Thinking about the possibilities to make sparkling white wine (or skeeter pee, etc) on the fly as needed. It says its only to be used for water but I can't see what would be different (from a physical constant standpoint) with wine that would cause it to fail or rupture if used with wine.

One of the CO2 bottles is supposed to carbonate up to 60L of water. Thats 80 bottles of wine. You would have to pour the wine in the supplied bottle, seal, carbonate, then pour it back into the wine bottle and either serve it or cork it if you were bottling a whole batch.

Seems like this guy could be fun!

Sodastream

Last edited by a moderator:
Bet it would liven up some of the sweet summer wines.

I was speaking with an experienced winemaker at the Vine & Wine Conference last week and he spoke about a sparkling Chardonnay he had made when he was just starting out (as an accident of course). He bottled too early before MLF was complete. It then continued to ferment a bit more in the bottle.

He sold out in nothing flat and people kept coming back for quite some time wanting to buy that amazing sparkling Chardonnay...... :)

I got one at Christmas. It's not bad as far as pop but I carbonated a skeeter pee. This was BAD-A$$ TASTING! A huge hit. It's best if you really chill the wine as much as possible.

They seem to make ones specifically to fit this machine. I don't think they are normally refillable but perhaps they are if they have a standard CO2 thread (CGA-320) of sorts or you could find an adapter perhaps. I see the refills are $29.99.

I'm still on the original one. Haven't seen them (canisters) in the stores yet to even know the price. For that amount I'll get a corny keg and hook it to a final full of pepsi.

When I remodeled my kitchen I wanted to put in a pop station. She said this isn't a bar. Think of the $ we would have saved. Plus we could have added on a skeeter pee fountain. Outstanding.

Had one of these as a kit, only problem with using anything other than water is that there is a wand the extends into the liquid to force the CO2 into it, that will clog. Used ours for years untill it broke and could not get parts for it. That one looks pretty modern compaired to ours.

I have one as well, and was using it to top off carboys with C02, until I read here that was not a great idea, better to use nitrogen.

I use it only to carbonate water. For soda pop the flavoring is added after the carbonation.

I tried to carbonate juice once, and it instantly foamed up all over the place an made a real mess.

The cylinders last a really long time, but I bought a spare with the machine.

Back