So2 test

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

celladwella

Reaction score
Hello,

I was thinking of adding this testing kit sold on more wine MT 140
Economy Aeration-Oxidation Free SO2 Test Kit | MoreWine

Do any of you use it and what can you tell me is it worth it? Also, says that kit supplies you with enough chemicals to do 2-3 tests. I would probably need to do
More as I have several different batches. What would would be needed to run more tests? Thanks in advance.

Hello,

I was thinking of adding this testing kit sold on more wine MT 140
Economy Aeration-Oxidation Free SO2 Test Kit | MoreWine

Do any of you use it and what can you tell me is it worth it? Also, says that kit supplies you with enough chemicals to do 2-3 tests. I would probably need to do
More as I have several different batches. What would would be needed to run more tests? Thanks in advance.
I have been using this for 4 seasons, works good for me, seems accurate. I thought about the Vinemetrica but didn't want to spend the money, not that its not worth the money, we bought so much equipment this year (New Stainless Steel Bladder Press, New 5 spout bottler with pump, bottler washer, But I really did not see the need to change our testing for SO2. I test roughly 2 times during a season, 3 months after my initial dose of SO2 sometimes at 6 months and always before bottling. I watched the Video on More Wine site and it is pretty straight forward to run the test. I get the (Phosphoric Acid) from Phosphoric Acid: 25% solution (for AOF).
I'm happy with the results we make 220-250 gallons of wine every year and the Economy Aeration Oxidation Free So2 Test kit is all I use to test So2.
Hope that helps
Mike

Last edited:
If you are comfortable with lab work, running an SO2 test is no more complicated than measuring TA. Actually it is less complicated using the indicator. The main chemicals are hydrogen peroxide, 0.01N sodium hydroxide, phosphoric acid and the methylene green indicator solution. The last 3 you can get at piwine.com. The economy kit supplies the necessary hardware to do the AO while a buret or syringe will do the titration with the help of the indicator.

In the end, it is whatever your budget allows and is easiest for you. If having the Vinmetrica makes it more likely you'll run the test for the number of tests you run, then its worth it. If you are more of the technical sort that likes more hands on bench work, you'd be better off getting the economy kit and the individual chemicals.

My $0.02 is that (generally speaking) that Hanna and Vinmetrica want to sell you the same hardware with subtle tweaks for every single test you need to make. Sometimes it is convenient but other times it just clutters your lab space with yet another special-purposed pH meter kit that you've dropped $300-600 on. A decent buret, pH meter, beakers and magnetic stirrer will go a long way to doing all you need ever.

I've been using the MT-140 for about 4 years now and even though I like the tech toys, I think my money can be better spent on other things. I don't know what the accuracy difference is between the SC-300 and the MT-140 but I would tend to think the acceptable tolerance for a wine of a given pH would be more forgiving than that difference. Even though I measure the free SO2 every time the wine is racked, it's still a very small part of the process. For my money, I feel it's better spent in the vineyard. If I can accomplish the same task with pretty good results on the cheap, why spend more? (yep - I'm cheap!)

I recently purchased a SO2 test kit from Amazon, it arrived from Germany, a month ago. With instructions in German and having translated it, it makes NO sense.
It arrived with a test tube and some brown chemical (Jodlusung) Iodine Solution. The test tube has two scales one marked SO2 mg/l 0- 200 and the other Gesamt-Saure g/l 0-20 (Total Acidity g/l 0-20)

Could anyone give me a clue what to do with this kit, in english please. ??????

Latest posts

Back