Other SO2 levels in barrel

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ehammonds

Reaction score
I have a 5.3 gallon barrel that I use to age my kit reds. It's almost neutral and I've ran maybe 6 kits though it so far. All have turned out great. I don't have a method yet to test SO2 levels and unfortunately have been sort of winging it, adding 1/4 teaspoon every month. So far, I've been lucky. For those that barrel age and have a reliable means to test sulphites, what is the approximate amount you've been adding? I plan to get a proper tester soon, but can't in the short term. Just hoping my additions are in the ballpark range.

Last edited:
Giving this a bump in case someone has any thoughts, but maybe overlooked this.

Giving this a bump in case someone has any thoughts, but maybe overlooked this.

Sorry I didn't see it the first time. Without testing means, this should keep you safe. Even though I test, I am pretty much bumping it about the same 1/4 tsp every month, topping up at the same time in my 6 gallon barrels.

Excellent. Thanks! I've been topping up every other week and 1/4 K meta every other top up. Good to know I'm in the ball park

I was winging it for a while, starting with the 1/4 tsp, then adding roughly 1/8th each month. When I got proper testing equipment, I realized I was not adding enough. Multiple factors can have influence, but you're probably good with that 1/4 tsp monthly.

Thanks. That's what I was hoping for. Eventually, I'll get a proper tester as I'm sure my luck will eventually run out

Back