SO2 and retest

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wheelman

Junior
Reaction score
I just tested my SO2. I made the proper adjustments and retested right away. I did stir a bit hoping to mix SO2 , I used 10 % solution.
The addition did not bring it up to what the calculator ( from Winemakermag) said it would raise to. Before adding more , I am curious if there is a waiting period before retesting? One hour, One day?
Getting ready to bottle
Thanks in advance

The change is immediate. Could be a few things going on, but a few questions.

What do you mean by a 10% solution?
How many grams of SO2 did you add into how much wine?
How old is the SO2 and how is it packaged?
How old are your reagents and what equipment are you measuring with?

I use Winemakermag.com calculator for my addition testing. Maybe you are familiar with it. I have used it for a few years now.

https://winemakermag.com/article/634-solving-the-sulfite-puzzle

I make a 10% solution based on the website suggestion.

https://morewinemaking.com/products...6DbqeHKtD4-3O8ytnXg_J2_ygCE2ZnBBoC-M8QAvD_BwE

From website.....
How to Add Sulfite
The simplest and most effective way of adding sulfite to must and wine is to make a 10 percent solution and then add the required incremental amount according to the table below. The 10 percent solution is prepared by dissolving 10 g of potassium metabisulfite in a little warm water — it does not dissolve well in cold water — and then topping up with cool water to the 100 mL level.

Based on the above calculator, it shows to add 8.8 ml of the solution to 3 gallons of wine to raise to 44 ppm, which I did. I then retested and test showed nothing.

My thoughts were the reagents also. The only one that was old was the indicator. ( note while running the test after it showed no reaction I put a drop or two of the 10% solution into the test sample and it reacted immediately, so maybe still good) I have bought a new one and am going to retest with it.

Hopefully this was not to lengthy and understandable.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191210-184027.png
    Screenshot_20191210-184027.png
    293.3 KB · Views: 16
Ok, so 8.8 ml of 10% solution is .88 grams of SO2, which is what I would add as well in powder form for 44 ppm in 3 gallons.

I would do a test trial, taking the wine out of the equation. Do a 50 ppm in water and see if you can measure that amount accurately. If not, that would point to the problem.

I have also found my first addition of SO2 gets consumed quicker than subsequent additions. SO2 is not only an anti-microbial agent, it is also an anti-oxidant. It could be the SO2 is being bound by dissolved oxygen in your new wine and consuming a lot of the free SO2 right away. This should slow way down, assuming proper storage.

This is exactly why kit wines give you 5gm of KMETA for 6 gallons of wine. 50% of it (or more) will be bound up with O2 immediately leaving jut enough to get you by until you bottle it.

Latest posts

Back