So2 after MLF

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pecka

Reaction score
I am currently fermenting my first batch of cabernet and will hopefully be pressing this weekend. I plan on starting MLF after pressing but i have a question on adding So2 after the MLF is complete. I know you need to add potassium metabisulfite after the malolactic fermentation is complete but depending on what i read, you either need 50ppm, 25ppm ,or you need a kit to tell you exactly how much to add depending on your wine's ph. As a first timer, i dont have a SO2 test kit and am wondering how critical this measurement is, and which side to error on.

You can get by with just adding 1/4 tsp per 6 gallon batch of K-Meta and then add another 1/4 tsp per 6 gallons every 3 months if racking is needed to get the wine off lees. An So2 tester should be used when you start bulk aging though as the S02 gets bound differently into your wine so more or less will be needed at different times. Here is a link to a cheap good test kit.
http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDetA.asp?PartNumber=301-10

Thanks for the quick reply! That is just what i needed to know...especially since i will be doing a 6 gallon batch. I have a tendency to try and run before i walk but i am trying to be careful with my venture into wine making. I will definitely make sure to have all the test kits etc when i start doing my barrel size batches (just dont tell my wife about that).

Back