So what's on your equipment wishlist for 2010

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NSwiner

Reaction score
Thankfully mine has been lessened since I lucked out getting alot of stuff from the guy that's not making wine anymore

- #1 on my list is my own heavy duty filtering system

- simple thing but a lid lifter for the buckets ,I have arthritis and some days it's really hard for me to do .

- 2 or 3 - 11.5 liter carboys so I can split by batches bulk age /bottle age

- a carboy dryer rack

- I'd like to give the wine on tap a try in the summertime .

Thats all I can think of right now but I know I wil buy more I'm just like that :D . So what do you plan on buying ,I know there's more of you like me that just have to buy even though you might not plan on it lol

Hmm.. Can't say I really NEED anything. On my "wish"list is an automatic bottle filler. OR, a few (3-4) sacks of 55# of grain.

U know I never really counted all the carboys I have. I know 20+ 6 gallon and at least 5 5gallon I think? 2-3 3gal carboys and 4-5 1 gal jugs
:b

I really dont need anything more. I just need to get it all finished and put together so that I can start using it. Maybe a whole house filter to hook up into my vacuum pump for wine making.

Floor corker and a vacuum pump. I have enough carboys that my space can handle. For Christmas this year I got an Buon Vino bottle filler, we like it but it needs adjustments it fills the bottles to full. Also, Mike had gotten me the bottle filler on ebay and the wrong item was sent so the seller told him to keep that item, which was a degasser for the drill, and they would send the bottle filler.

Julie

Julie, nice deal. Fill a carboy up with some water and practice filling the bottles using the screw on the side to make adjustments until you get the level right where you want it. It will take a very small hex wrench to make the adjustments. Also don't be alarmed if the screw is rusty. They all do that and when I was in a store last week there brand new ones were. You would think by now they would have gone with stainless.

I want a real press that I didnt build. It works ok but one made of Stainless would be so cool and a lot easier to clean o ya and BIGGER

Julie, nice deal. Fill a carboy up with some water and practice filling the bottles using the screw on the side to make adjustments until you get the level right where you want it. It will take a very small hex wrench to make the adjustments. Also don't be alarmed if the screw is rusty. They all do that and when I was in a store last week there brand new ones were. You would think by now they would have gone with stainless.

Thanks, I guess tomorrow we will be practicing filling bottles. I think we are really going to like this bottle filler.

Julie

I really dont need anything more. I just need to get it all finished and put together so that I can start using it. Maybe a whole house filter to hook up into my vacuum pump for wine making.

OK........, I'm scratching my head as to what a whole house filter for wine must look like.

OK........, I'm scratching my head as to what a whole house filter for wine must look like.
Horkalugi:

Can't remember what kind of hardware stores you've got in Windermere area (probably Radium?), but I know that the Home Hardware in Grand Forks sold 'whole house' water filters 3-4 years ago. Anyway check out a hardware store, it's a one cylinder water filter and some folks adapt them for wine filtering.

There's some pictures on this page
http://www.waterfilters.net/Filters/wholehouse/wholehouse.htm

Steve

Horkalugi glad I wasn't the only one scratching my head .I know what it is , just never heard it called that before .

Still a newbie, so I have a lot of things on my list:

2-3 new carboys 3 and 6 gallon
SO2 testing kit
Bottle drying rack
New primary
PH tester
Some nice kits (haven't done a real one yet)

A fruit press would be nice, but I'm not there yet.

Okay Wade, if I understand you correctly, this is a water filter meant to filter water to make wine and not a water filter rigged to filter wine.

Okay Wade, if I understand you correctly, this is a water filter meant to filter water to make wine and not a water filter rigged to filter wine.

no, its a water filter by design, used to filter wine.
the approach is popular because wade already has a vacuum pump setup and can adapt this cartridge-type filter and canister contraption to use his existing equipment instead of going out an purchasing a dedicated wine filtration system that includes an expensive pump.

the cartridge-type filters can also be just as effective as the pad-type wine filters with a bit less fuss and mess, and likely less expense.

Hmmm, I would of thought the cartridges woulda been more expensive.
On a similar note, that would give the 1st verse of the 12 days of Winemakers Christmas:

"...a cartridge and Bottle tree..."

a cartridge is about $10 or so but can probably do a dozen carboys in a row before changing.

wish list for '10:

2-300 gal tanks
4-200 gal tanks
4-100 gal tanks
4-50 gal tanks
thousands of #'s of various fruits
1- stainless 6 pot bottle filler
2- italian floor corkers
1-wine pump
-lots of lines and fittings
and a certain set of paper work from the atf!

just what i can think of for now....

Latest posts

Back