So, what did it cost you

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was just wondering what it is like for folks in other parts of the country.

What was your Thanksgiving grocery bill? For me, I am in for just over $300.00

Hit one of the butcher's in the Italian Market in Philly today, turkey, ham, bacon, got vegetables and other all stuff from vendors and supermarket. Feeding 6 here for just under $200.

Not much for me, I’m fortunate enough that both of my parents are still kicking hard enough to host Thanksgiving, and they won’t have it any other way. We’ll bring whatever dish they request, maybe 30 bucks. I’ll smoke another bird at home to take up to the hunting property for the long weekend, along with side dishes by Mrs. JohnD, maybe another 100 bucks. Heck, few bottles of wine we’ll drink will probably be the biggest investment........

This year we are celebrating with friends in Vt. Our bill is about $100 for what we are bringing, well that covers just the food. Of course we are bringing wine, I want to bring some of mine, but SWMBO says NO. :?

Just 4 of us this year. But every year, throughout the year, everyone puts some of their change in a plastic water bottle. My wife has a change sorter that sorts and counts the right amount for the sleeves. This year we have over $250.00 so I guess it's free.

That'll just about cover the bottle of Opus One. ;)

OK, it's off to the store I go. I'm telling my wife you said it was alright to do.

BTW: The last time I went out to CO to go snowboarding, I paid for almost the entire trip with change. Granted, I had a place to stay and used miles to fly, but my lift tix, car and spending money were taken care of. That was a while ago and I don't really use cash at all any more. So, no more change. :(

We usually have Thanksgiving dinner here but this year my wife's family is cooking it and it will be over at her Mom's place. I am hoping my wife is on the rebound then from her chemo she got Wednesday. Right now she isn't interested in much. Last round she had (her first) she began feeling better after about a week so hopefully she can eat a few goodies by Thursday. I am thankful this year to have her here for at least this Thanksgiving and praying for a few more at least (if I don't listen to her doctors). Thanksgiving with her- priceless.

I done even want to talk about it. We're feeding 8 and everyone wants turkey and ham to go home too so my wife buys the biggest turkey and ham she can find. She starts cooking on Wednesday, and then Thursday morning we start at around 7 and finishing up right before everyone shows up at 1.

We usually have Thanksgiving dinner here but this year my wife's family is cooking it and it will be over at her Mom's place. I am hoping my wife is on the rebound then from her chemo she got Wednesday. Right now she isn't interested in much. Last round she had (her first) she began feeling better after about a week so hopefully she can eat a few goodies by Thursday. I am thankful this year to have her here for at least this Thanksgiving and praying for a few more at least (if I don't listen to her doctors). Thanksgiving with her- priceless.
I hope you have the best thanksgiving ever, all the best to you. Mike

Nothing. I shop when I'm out of something, eat what is in the freezer. There is probably 3 turkeys in there. I will get one out in a day or so and start thawing it. And I will probably eat at a friends place T'Day.

Not much really. The turkey was only 48 cents a pound at our grocery store and the rest of the fixings aren't expensive. Not keeping a tally for it.

Well, we are heading down to have tday with my wife's uncle. I was shocked at the cost of food in the mountains, so we do all of our shopping up here and then haul it all down there. We do an Italian feast on Wednesday, then turkey with all the trimmings on Thursday. I also got shrimp, salamis, cheeses, and a host of other pickings too.

On Friday, I make a killer turkey soup and we have turkey sandwiches too. Got more people on Friday than I have on Thursday.

Of course, I have pulled a variety pack case from my cellar (Pinot, Merlot, and my barrel reserve cab).

I so look forward to it all. For a guy that loves to cook, tday is da bomb!

Take them one at a time Mike. Our prayers are with you.

This is our second Thanksgiving after my wife’s diagnosis. Treatments are finally stabilized and she is feeling good, so, we are off to the neighbor’s:b all it is costing me is a case of my own wine!

Not sure on the amount ?

But we will supply at least 2 turkeys - (1 smoked ) and all the trimmings for possibly 8 people and take home bags

And include the wine - which could outweigh the cost of the food - LOL

Total came to 200.00 not including wines. But we tried an all natural, fresh killed bird for the first time that cost us $60.00. I'm a real "foodie" but I just can't justify doing that again. It tasted great but no one at the table thought it was any better than a $15.00 butterball like we've usually had in the past.

Anyone else have better luck with the more expensive birds?

Latest posts

Back