WineXpert So far so good with the Selection Choc Raspberry Port...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Sue! Just curious, why the racking? I was under the impression our next step (if clear) was bottling... been out of town for a few days and I'm a little off schedule, I'm not in a hurry to bottle, I was just curious if I missed a step or recommendation?

Thanks,

Linda, I had planned on bulk aging it in the carboy from the beginning. I am still collecting bottles and have about 20 gal. of four different wines that I'm bulk aging. Also, I have seen Wade post to not be in a hurry to bottle because this kit produces sediment for quite awhile (not his exact words).
Have you tasted yours yet? It is going to be really good one of these days!

Last edited:
Yeah, this stuff needs extra time even after fining. My first batch settled hard in the bottles after giving 2 months after fining. Its very viscous and that makes it harder to clear and stays in supension longer and is harder to get out.

Wade, do you have an opinion about my question (prior page, bottom) about the level of my wine after racking?
Thanks!

For a few days it will be alright, You should get hem topped up soon though as they arent fermenting anymore to produce that lanket of gas to protect them anymore. If what yo have will be enough to fill the 6 gallon carboy enough then do that otherwise get a 5 and a 1/2 gallon jug.

o.k, so if I'm going to let it bulk age for a couple of months before bottling I should rack it into another carboy to get it off the sediment that's currently in there, is that the plan?

(sounds like it will be a nice surprise for my sweetie come Valentine's Day ;)

Thanks!

temp?

At what temps are you aging your wine? I knew warmer was better during fermentation, but after stabilizing and clearing I moved my wine to the basement where it's cooler but a more stable temp 65-67.

I'm close to bottling my Blackberry Cabernet (Island Mist) and learned it will clear better at a warmer temp and I'm planning on moving back upstairs to the kitchen where it's warmer but not as stable, temps can range from 65-75 in one day (we turn the heat down at night and depending if the oven is on making dinner...), wondering if I should move my CRP too... :?

Latest posts

Back