WineXpert So far so good with the Selection Choc Raspberry Port...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, checked SG again this morning (Day 6) and I'm at 1.011 - guess I'm right on schedule... Time for Step 2, Chaptalisation...

:db Yep! Go for it!
I know some people on here have added the chap pack gradually. I added it exactly as per the instructions and haven't had any issues so far.
Keep logging that SG and hopefully it will keep going in the right direction :h

I checked the SG this morning and it's down to 1.018 three days after the third addition of chaptalisation. I'll recheck tomorrow and transfer to the secondary if the SG is still less than 1.02.

One question....I read on Jack Keller's site that he transfers from primary to secondary fermentation, not by racking but by pouring the wine into the carboy through a funnel to keep living yeast in the carboy. Is this anyone's practice or should I just rack it as the instructions say?
Thanks, Sue

I think its a good and bad idea. I like the idea of keeping all the yeasy with it until it finishes fermenting but why even rack it then. i just ferment to dry in my bucket with the lid on after the sg reaches aboit 1.015 or there abouts.

Yes. This kit just so you know will drop sediment for a long time even ater fining it.

10/15 SG 1.009 (prior to chaptalisation pack)
10/15 SG 1.020 (after chaptalisation pack)
10/17 SG 1.010
10/18 SG 1.006

Although it's only been three days after adding the chaptalisation pack, do I still wait the full 5-7 days before racking the wine into the 3-gal carboy?

And then, do I wait the full 10-day before stabilising and clearing?

Is it o.k. that my SG is dropping so low? I know the 'SG by Stage' reads 1.0XX or less, but am I still going to end up with a sweet port???

Well apparently everything is doing fine...
The plan is to stick to the schedule, so on day 5 (after chaptalisation) 10/20, I'll transfer the the secondary and on 10/31, I'll pick up with Step 3 stabilising and clearing.

And yes, I will have a sweet port in the finish (so I'm told) ;)

Is everyone else's coming along nicely?

Mine seems to be coming along nicely. Today was the 5th day after the final 1/3 addition of chap. SG was 1.010 (1.018 two days ago) so I racked it into the carboy.
In one of my earlier posts I said that I was missing one of the oak packs (I'm making a dbl. batch). WE sent me another pack but said to wait to add it when I transferred the wine. They also said to rack the wine onto the oak and NOT to dump the oak in after racking or I would have something like a volcano erupting. I did as I was told and all went well.
WE does have a very communicative and helpful customer service dept.

Well, I've been a bit distracted this week and only just checked the SG (9 days after adding the Chap pack). I'm now at 1.014 (down from 1.025 after adding the chap pack 9 days ago). So I am ready to rack into the secondary, which I'll do tomorrow hopefully. :h

:uSG of my wine was 1.002 this morning so finished up the with the rest of the ingredients and returned it to the carboy to bulk age. The F-packs smell amazing. I can't wait to taste it!

One question. I have about 3/4 of a wine bottle of what was left after topping up. Should I put an airlock on it to use when it is racked later or should I put it in a smaller jar (less air) and refrigerate it? I'm sure this is probably a very basic issue but thanks for helping a new person!

Wow, you got it nice and low!!!!!!!! Yes, put the rest in a small bottle and put it under airlock until you rack off the lees (sediment).

Right there with you Sue! I'm going to verify the SG again tomorrow (1.002) and if it's the same I'll be proceeding with Step 3!

Wow!
Not checked mine for a week. I'll check it later and see how it compares.

Step 3 complete :D

Sue, what was your SG after adding the F-Pack? Mine is at 1.022...

...so when do we fortify :p

I didn't recheck it. I'll have to do that.
With all the "vigorous" stirring, I don't think I thought about it (got to get a drill operated stirrer!)

Last edited:
I guess this is my last installment here for this kit. I checked the SG today and it was 1.022. I racked it off a big layer of lees. I had too much for a 5 gal carboy and not enough, even with topping off with the reserved wine, to fill my 6 gal back up to the correct level. The wine level is sitting at the "shoulder" of the carboy, where the bottle starts to narrow. I did keep a 1/2 gal of wine/lees mix that was close to the thickest layer of lees. I'm not the best a racking yet. Anyway, I have that 1/2 gal under airlock, hoping to get a little more wine to clear.

Can I leave my 6 gal carboy at the level it's at now for a few days or should I get it in the 5 gal carboy and a 1/2 gal jug? I was hoping not to have to top it up with another wine and risk changing the original flavor, which is pretty tasty for as new as it is.
Thanks for any help as always!
Sue

Next project: I have a couple of cans of black current waiting to go into the primary. I would love to try pomegranate too. Walmart has a giant box of what was fresh pomegranates. I kept watching them to see if the price (about $2.60 ea.) would go down but they are letting them rot instead.

Latest posts

Back