Snow is almost gone

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sage

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally!! 2 ft of snow is melting, about 80% of the ground is bare. I can actually start pruning today. Might be able to finish next week and spray. Start cleaning around the vines and get weed control going.

It's been a long winter!!

Meanwhile.... I have been pruning for weeks*** and today the temperature reached 20°C (68°F). And I am late. The sap is flowing.... Darn.

Local climate and geography is interesting. :h

*** Snow? What snow? I think that last happened in January....

Indeed, the snow is gone! I'm half way through pruning and spraying dormant oil. And a little weeding as well, but I'm in good shape there. I am trying something beside glyphosate this year. It's labeled as Avenger, which relies on citrus oil to kill off the foliage (no roots), but it's considered safe and organic. But the big chore remaining is preparing new rows for planting in early May. And I'm adding my first row of Cabernet Franc, so it will be a change for me as I typically use TWC for my grapes. VSP looks to be fun, so time will tell.

Started my tomato and pepper seeds. The begonias and impatients were started about a month ago. The daffodils are showing color but not quite opened up yet. I have a magnolia that is starting to open it's blooms (which usually happens then we get a hard freeze in the low 20's).

@Johnd, did you do any crawfish boils yet? Isn't this prime season for them?

Started my tomato and pepper seeds. The begonias and impatients were started about a month ago. The daffodils are showing color but not quite opened up yet. I have a magnolia that is starting to open it's blooms (which usually happens then we get a hard freeze in the low 20's).

@Johnd, did you do any crawfish boils yet? Isn't this prime season for them?

Have had them twice, still a bit early for good prices, we need some warmer weather and Easter to be over.

I never did much like you, John. ;)

Seriously, best sentiments for the spring. We will be there before too long. Well, actually, it WILL BE TOO LONG! :)

LOL, but it's not all that great............Mississippi River is setting records down here, and I have 7 feet of water on my hunting property. Can't drive (other than by boat) to the new house or stock my new lake because the water is higher than the levees. We all have our crosses to bear.......

Bonide All Seasons Horticultural and Dormant Oil. I've attached the product label for you to read. I keep all product labels of stuff I use or stuff I'm researching in a folder on my desktop for quick reference.

Attachments

• Bonide dormant Oil spray.pdf
    644.3 KB · Views: 6
Started pruning last week in two feet of snow - lots of slipping and sliding! Finished yesterday with just a little spotty snow. Had quite a bit of winter kill due to extremely cold February - so we'll see how things turn out come May when first buds open - keeping fingers crossed!

My vines look like they want to bud now (in Ohio). I'd feel much better if they could wait a little longer as a nasty freeze in late April/early May is hard on them. They usually ignore when i make such requests though.

Is anyone observing vine damage related to the minus 30 degree weather in the Midwest?

Yes. Nothing serious so far. Petite Pearl, Itasca and Frontenac have all survived. Frontenac showed more damage than I anticipated. I've lost a few buds I would have preferred to keep. I haven't gotten to my Vidal Blanc yet, which I expect to be completely wrecked. I've got low expectations, so hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Latest posts

Back