Smurfe’s Wine Kit Tutorial (Part 3)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smurfe

Reaction score
Hello All, sorry I am late putting this post up. I have had some issues with my camera so I went and got another one. I am a few days behind as well posting this up as I have been swamped this past week.

Today we are going to cover Step 3 from our instructions for our kit. We do remember the Instructions correct? It is that paper thingy you are to read every time you work with your kit.

WineTutorialPics034.jpg

So lets look them over again to see what we need to do today!

100_0080.jpg

We are at the Stabilizing and Clearing section of our wine making journey. After 10 days of secondary fermentation we will check the Specific Gravity (SG) and verify a stable SG by obtaining a same reading 2 days in a row. Our target SG for this kit is 0.994-0.998 So lets sanitize that Wine Thief, test jarand Hydrometer and check the SG.

Go ahead and sanitize a spoon, a Pyrex measuring cup or even a coffee cup and you Mix Stir device if you have one. You do have one correct? Good, I am glad you listened to me in the beginning and called George to get you one if you didn't have one on hand cause today is when it's real value comes into play!

104_0069.jpg

104_0067.jpg

We are looking good at 0.994 for the 2nd day in a row so it is time to get to Step 3 in our instructions. Find the rest of those little packets that were in the little zip-lock baggie thing. Those things numbered 2, 3 and 4.

104_0076.jpg

Take that sanitized measuring cup and dump in the packets 2 and 3. Add a little warm water and stir with that sanitized spoon until it is all dissolved. Take care not to take too big a whiff of this mixture because the Metabisulfate will put off a little gas that will burn the nose. These 2 chemicals will stabilize the wine and prohibit further fermentation.

104_0077.jpg

104_0078.jpg

Now, take that stuff and pour it carefully into the Carboy.

100_0081.jpg

Shoo the Cat away and lets go on!

Now we stir. Remember when I told you it really was a bad idea to stir with the spoon correct?

WineTutorialPics052.jpg

Today our stirring is the most important stirring we are going to do. We are going to stir off the CO2 and degass our wine. This is going to take so much stirring that you will truly feel that your arm WILL fall off and you will think you will need Rotator Cuff Surgery after.

So lets take that Mix Stir device and our drill and stir the Wine. We need to mix the Metabisulfate and Sorbate into the wine as well as disperse the gas from the wine. Stir for at least 2 minutes. Make sure to stir all the Lees (GUNK) in the bottom of the carboy. Believe it or not, we need that gunk to aid in clearing the wine. Watch out for the FOAM, there will be quite a bit so be prepared!

104_0070.jpg

100_0085.jpg

100_0084.jpg

OK, we have that stuff all mixed in and we have stirred for a bit to degass. Lets add the Clearing agent to the wine now. Take that last packet (#4) and snip a corner off of it and carefully pour it into the Carboy.

100_0087.jpg

100_0088.jpg

Now we stir MORE! Stir at least 2 minutes but preferably longer. We need to mix the wine well to disperse the clearing agent and continue to expel the CO2 gas. After a while, the foaming will subside. It probably WILL NOT totally go away though. Foam does not necessarily mean gas in the wine, Remember that you are whipping the wine pretty good with the Mix Stir so you have entered some oxygen as well into the wine. We do need to be careful though and keep as much oxygen away from the wine as we can but don't worry too much, we need to get that gas out of it.

100_0084.jpg

So we have stirred the crap out of the wine and have it degassed it is time to top up the carboy and seal her back up till the next step. You can either use some water to top up or a "like" wine. Many feel that water will dilute the wine but the manufacturer takes into account that you will be adding water when they make the juice concentration so don't stress out about it. I happen to have some white wine here so I am going to top with it.

100_0101.jpg

Fill the carboy to about an inch below the bung and put an airlock in place and clean up your equipment cause we are done for the day. We will now let the wine clear at least 8 days before the next step comes around.

So, I will see you herein a few days.The next step will be racking and clarification so we will see you then!

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Edited by: smurfe

Smurfe,

You are making me smile!!! Lucky Charms pants and all!!!!

RamonaEdited by: rgecaprock

Well, I remember you all Woo-Hooing aboutMartina's snazzypants so I thought I would 1 up her, Sorry Martina
smiley36.gif
smiley17.gif
smiley36.gif

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

smiley32.gif

I'm a bit late in finding this.. But woohoo! Love them pants!
smiley36.gif
smiley2.gif

Good-lookin' wine too. Can't wait til Part 4 -- it's like a good mini-series (with very fashionable actors!)
smiley36.gif
!

M.

Latest posts

Back