Smoky Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lurker

Reaction score
For my birthday, my daughter bought me a bottle of Johnnie Walker Double Black Scotch Whiskey. My first taste ever. It was excellent with a wonderful smoky flavor. Now I need to know how to add that flavor to my wine. My local supplier suggested adding smoked malt. I need some opinions from you. Have you ever added malt to your wine, how will the smoked malt effect the wine and/or how would you add the smoky flavor.

Thanks,
Richard L.

I had a local wine that I was trying to figure out the taste and a few people here was thinking maybe the wine was aged in used whiskey barrels, sounds like something to look into.

I've had some extremely smoky wines, I assumed they just oak it heavily with heavy toast oak, for long periods of time.

One winery here in central KY uses old Woodford Reserve Bourbon barrels to age one of their wines, and it is pretty fantastic. I wouldn't call it smoky though, as I tend to like my oak in moderation. I would say it has a distinct bourbon-y taste though.

I put some smoked malt into a ½ gal of Chablis. I'll taste it in a
couple of weeks and report.

Richard L.

Latest posts

Back