Smoker Chips

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom

Reaction score
Can I use wood chips for smoking (apple, cherry) for "oaking" wine? I never thought of it till yesterday when I was smoking chicken.

Officially, yes you can. The real question is "should I?".

The oak used by most winemakers (barrels, stalves, slats, cubes, or even chips) have been toasted to at least some degree. Typically, there are 3 levels of toast (Light, Med, and Dark) each one haveing different flavors imparted to the wine.

You should be OK with just about any hard wood. DO NOT use pine or any type of soft wood.

I would experiment and toast your oak in the oven at 450 - 475 degrees. Toast them until you smell the wood aromas (not talking smoke here). 10 to 15 minutes should be good for a start, though you can adjust the time to suit your own tastes. Also, I would remove all wood bark befor I toast.

You also ned to be very sure that there are no additives in the wood.

John thanks for the reply. I was thinking of Cherry and apple chips. non smoked.

What about smoking them outside on the grill ?

Unless you live alone - if I tried that inside I might be living alone - LOL

Just a thought here, do any of you use the wood chips in your smoker or grill after taking them from the wine?

Just a thought here, do any of you use the wood chips in your smoker or grill after taking them from the wine?

I do that all the time! It is a great way to recycle the oak and it gives a great flavor to the meat. I keep a bag by my smoker at all times.

I have taken used wine oak sticks and placed then in a 1 gallon of vodka. It really mellows the vodka and very decent due to the flavors of the wine and oak.

Yesterday we had a steak marinated in wine and pepper cooked on the Green egg and I used the oak chips from the LE Italian Nebbiolo. It was fantastic. Looking forward to the oak cubes from the same wine later this fall

cheer

I would avoid putting oak chips (or any wood for that matter) directly into your grill.

Here is the reason.. Hard wood ash is very corrosive! Keep in mind that the traditional way to manufacure lye is to boil some hard wood ash..

I know what you are thinking.. But I use charcoal. Well, charcoal is processed and is mostly carbon and is, therefore, far less corrosive then wood.

if you love your grill (and what man doesn't?) wrap up your chips in tinfoil for later removal or go out and get one of those cast iron smoke boxes.

Officially, yes you can. The real question is "should I?".

The oak used by most winemakers (barrels, stalves, slats, cubes, or even chips) have been toasted to at least some degree. Typically, there are 3 levels of toast (Light, Med, and Dark) each one haveing different flavors imparted to the wine.

You should be OK with just about any hard wood. DO NOT use pine or any type of soft wood.

I would experiment and toast your oak in the oven at 450 - 475 degrees. Toast them until you smell the wood aromas (not talking smoke here). 10 to 15 minutes should be good for a start, though you can adjust the time to suit your own tastes. Also, I would remove all wood bark befor I toast.

You also ned to be very sure that there are no additives in the wood.
If just using for sacrificial oak during fermentation....would you still recommend self toasting the Oak?

Latest posts

Back