Smelly bungs

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
While topping yesterday I noticed a smell from one of the bungs that I had noticed the last time I topped. The wine inside smells fine when in a glass. The bung and bunghole, however, smell not quite like vinegar but still sort of sour, sort of yeasty like bread dough. A couple weeks ago when I first noticed it I just rinsed off the bung and wiped the hole but I would feel better if there were a way to actually fully clean it. The problem being the risk of contaminating the wine. Is there a way to clean the bunghole without jeopardizing the wine? Im assuming peroxycarb and citric are out of the question.

K-meta, or as I call it, sulfite solution, spritz a paper towel and swab the hole. I wouldn't recommend peroxycarb or any hydrogen peroxide containing solutions, they'll work, but too risky in my opinion. Silicone bungs are a non-smelly option.

Try running the in the dishwasher (no soap added-heated drying) then spritz them with kmeta.

on a side note... Smelly Bungs???

Whatever you do, do not let my wife hear that or I will be getting that as a nickname for the rest of me life..... I can almost hear her call me now.... "Smelly Bungs... Dinner!"

Try running the in the dishwasher (no soap added-heated drying) then spritz them with kmeta.

on a side note... Smelly Bungs???

Whatever you do, do not let my wife hear that or I will be getting that as a nickname for the rest of me life..... I can almost hear her call me now.... "Smelly Bungs... Dinner!"
Glad I wasn't drinking when I read this. Would of sprayed all over the desk and computer. Thanks, John. :b Arne.

Latest posts

Back