Smell of Alcohol is Overpowering

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have tried aerating my wine several times in what is a very tasty wine to reduce the overpowering smell of alcohol. My wine ABV is 19% and I would prefer 12-13%. Can anything be done to reduce the alcohol level and thus the overpowering smell of alcohol? Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Craig's recommendation is probably the best if you have a lower alcohol wine. Otherwise you could use acidulated water to cut it back although it would make for a thinner wine. Just a consideration but you could back sweeten it to help with the balance but would probably still have the alcohol nose.

grape wine? my first choice would be to add grape juice when it is being served
country wine? shelf stable bottled juice,
I have tried aerating my wine several times in what is a very tasty wine to reduce the overpowering smell of alcohol. My wine ABV is 19% and I would prefer 12-13%. Can anything be done to reduce the alcohol level and thus the overpowering smell of alcohol? Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
? HUMM,,, clean alcohol should have a sweet smell at about .1% of the atmosphere for most folks, ,,,, oxidized ethyl alcohol (acetaldehyde) should have a sharp malic/ apple at 100 ppm, significantly lower. Aeration would make the oxidation worse.

Latest posts

Back