Smashing berries

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmadmikes1

smart @$$
Reaction score
Last night I decided to smash the 40#s of Blackberries I picked. I think that will be enough for a 6 gallon batch. Boy did I make a mess in kitchen,used my drywall mud stomped to smash with and got berries and juice everywhere. Next time I wait till daylight and go outside:)This wine had better be good because these berries cost BLOOD.

Easier way;
Freeze 1st
Thaw and add 3+tsp of Pectic enzyme and water to 6 gallons and sugar to 1.090
Let it sit 24 hyrs
Really no need for "smashing". I hope you put them in a straining bag.

40 lbs of Blackberries for a 6 gallon batch, Did you check the TA???????????????????? I would not sulfite when you are doine fermenting as you may need to do a malo-lactic fermentation on this batch due to toomuch lactic acid. I would \keep that in mind and order some now.

Or if you make a lot, get a stem juicer. Freeze the berries for a couple weeks and then thaw. Throw them in the steam juicer and juice away. Wake a great wine. Wade's right to about the acidity. Need to check that. If not it could turn out very tart wine.

I already acid balanced and now you tell me about freezing in bag, great idea. I thawed them all first then smashed them. Live and learn

can you post the recipe, Ive never seen one using that many berries for a 6 gallon batch and not be way over on TA, what was the TA?

Latest posts

Back