Small guavas and peaches

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myakkagldwngr

Reaction score
My youngest brother has what we call a "catley guava" tree in his yard so this year he picked them and saved them for me.
They are the small ones about the size of a quarter or 50 cent piece.
I think I have about 25 pounds of them that are thawing right now.
I thought of adding some peach too.
Any thoughts, I searched the recipes and didn't see but one that talked of strawberry guava.
It will probably be a day before I can cut up the peaches.

the strawberry guava was my recipe..

if you have photos of the fruit I can pinpoint it better for you.

Strawberry guava are very acidic..well here in NZ anyway.

if you have an acid testing kit.. that will make a huge difference.

Allie

No, my camera broke a while back. Maybe I can describe them for you.
When they are mature, but still hanging on the plant, the color is red on top and then whitish yellow on the lower half. They will turn completely red, but by then if you even look at them they fall off the plant.
They are thawed now so I'll have to sample one to see how the taste is.
I don't have an acid test either.
I know, I know, I need one, but just haven't gotten it yet.

guavas are ripe when they fall from the tree, you can't pick them..

if you pick them, they are not ripe.

same with feijoas ( pineapple guavas)...there is a two week harvest period.

that's it.

Allie

I guess I'll find out how they turn out. These little boogers are pretty tasty if you like guavas. Been around here as long as I can remember. I think his root stock came from my grandmothers yard.
I had 23 pounds of them after washing and cleaning and added 6 pounds of peaches, campden tablets and a little of liquid tannin.
Being they are free, the only expense will be when I add some sugar.

:) And I hope you understand my sense of humor, :)but I guess you are saying in that split second it takes a mature guava to go from being on the stem to hitting the ground, it ripens? :)

Last edited:
I added the yeast,,, cote des blancs, today and the sugar, plus some yeast nutrient.
I sure hope it holds the flavor it has. I sampled some while measuring the SG and it was fantastic. I mean good enough to try and make some juice to preserve. That's saying something from some one who looks at every fruit and berry now and thinks wine.

Latest posts

Back