small amount of mold

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

junit83

Reaction score
I started a peach rasberry wine 2 nights ago... and the peaches were very ripe. Now as fermentation has started the fruit bag has started to get a little mold... as the peaches were very mushy when i cut them up... I was pretty sure thats what i was looking for but what do i do about the mold...scrape it off? will the alcohol kill it? or is my batch dead?... thanks for any help

campden tabs? I already added the yeast, would it be bad to add campden 12 hours after adding yeast

not as bad as mold. The yeast may die out but you can pitch another packet tomorrow morning. If you have the tablets crush 1 per gallon or if using k-meta 1/16 tsp per gallon. You should of added this prior to adding the yeast.
Steve

hiya Junit,

Add campden tablets (1 per gallon of wine)and make sure the bag of fruit is submerged ( stick a dinner plate on it to hold it under the wine). If the ferment stops.. pitch a new yeast. If there is a lot of mold it may affect the flavour, you might want to taste test it too.

Allie

Last edited:
Usually fruit wine recipes tell you to press the fruit cap ( floating fruit) down once or twice daily in the primary fermenting stage. This helps to prevent mold forming.. and some online recipe sites ( like the jack keller site ) fail to mention adding the campden tablets because they assume you already know to do that.

Allie

thanks all... I figured out what the camp is for... i added 5 to the batch and its really fermenting like crazy... ive only done 2 other batches and havent even bottled them yet but none of them sounded like this one.

Boy she sure does stink though, The Bananna and the mead i made didnt smell like this... i wonder if it has something to do with the peaches

When you say stink is it like rotten eggs? If so, message Wade or one of the moderators about it. It should smell funny but not rotted.
Steve

Oh dear, that doesn't sound good junit.

My peach wine just fizzed a lot but had no off smells.

what does it smell like?

Allie

Its fizzing like crazy even after adding camp... but i would compare the smell to hard boiled eggs.... must tastes amazing just stinky. Come to think of it my bananna batch stunk for the first couple of days.... Kids and wife would always say something but it went away halfway through the primary

It sounds like you have a sulphur problem.. you can try adding yeast nutrient and a bit of energiser and let it ferment out.. that may clear the problem.. I'd be loathe to give up at present on a 5 gallon batch, perservere anyway junit you really have nothing to lose at this point.. if it goes bad you're throwing it out anyway...

sounds like your yeast needs a bit more nutrient. It's worth a try.

Allie

I have pmed him on this but will post it here as well so others will know whats going on. Red Star Montrachet yeast was used. I know he used 1 tsp of nutrient and 1 tsp of energizer so far but the total batch size hasnt been determined as of yet. This yeast has nutrient deficiency problems and will do the suphur smell thing with low nutrient musts. f proper nutrients are added then this is typically just a smell that newer wine makers just arent used to but sometimes yeast especially thsi 1 can cause H2s problems and the safest way to dal with this problem is by stirring your stable wine with a cleaned and sanitized copper pipe for a few minutes. It does what copper sulfate does without the chance of poisoning with the copper sulfate.

Okay it is a 5 gallon batch with 1 tsp of each and in my book thats not enough to keep this yeast starin happy and since this is a fairly new fermentation I told him to add 4 tsp of nutrient and 2 tsps of energizer and stir it good. Should also add sulfites as soon as its done fermenting to make sure if it truly is a mold that it stays in check.

thanks wade and everyone... i added more nut and engergizer... i will keep you posted on what happens..

The must is fine...i added a bunch of camp back when i started the post... it didnt stop fermentation... but seemed to have stopped any more mold from forming.... i racked it to a secondary a couple days ago... it looks really good.

Latest posts

Back