Slushy Dos and Don't

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We are thinking of doing slushies. Any dos and don't for slushy making. I have some wine that just didn't turn out and hate to dump it. I have red and white. I can get some dual dispensers that hold 2 L on each side.

We started doing slushies this summer after years of resisting it. We went with a 2-bowl with 3 gallons per bowl unit found here. It is great for using your wine that's been open too long and giving it another shot at making you some money. I'm sure there are a million ways of making slushies, but we follow the slushy recipe on the concentrate bottle and then add in a bottle and a half of wine or so per gallon.

My only regret is not getting the 3-bowl unit. We've run out of slushies when we've had larger crowds. The 3-gallon bowls realistically can hold about 2.5 gallons and even though we pre-chill the water going into it, getting it to a sellable slushy consistency takes an hour. These things are cash machines. I pour in dollar bills and $20 bills come out. It is very seasonal, as you'd expect.

Looks like you're in Ohio and I'm close to Indy. I'll make you a deal on the 2-bowl unit if you want so I can upgrade to the 3-bowl!

Slushy seems to be a winery winner. If/when I get to commercial, I’ll take your advice on bowl size. Slushy and sangria seem to be summer favorites. As someone on this forum said: Visitors talk dry red and buy sweet white- add slushy and sangrias to that sentence?

We started doing slushies this summer after years of resisting it. We went with a 2-bowl with 3 gallons per bowl unit found here. It is great for using your wine that's been open too long and giving it another shot at making you some money. I'm sure there are a million ways of making slushies, but we follow the slushy recipe on the concentrate bottle and then add in a bottle and a half of wine or so per gallon.

My only regret is not getting the 3-bowl unit. We've run out of slushies when we've had larger crowds. The 3-gallon bowls realistically can hold about 2.5 gallons and even though we pre-chill the water going into it, getting it to a sellable slushy consistency takes an hour. These things are cash machines. I pour in dollar bills and $20 bills come out. It is very seasonal, as you'd expect.

Looks like you're in Ohio and I'm close to Indy. I'll make you a deal on the 2-bowl unit if you want so I can upgrade to the 3-bowl!
I May take you up on that offer but I am in the preliminary stages of going "slushy". What would you want for the unit?

I have a backup 2 hopper machine collecting dust. Replaced compressor in 2019, removed from service end of 2019 for backup of new machine have not needed. The Bunn machines are pretty bullet proof. Does need new TIC board for full time use ($50) on eBay. Would sell for $400 in Missouri.

Not all BUnn machines are bullet proof. I had one I liked, so I ordered another. It came with a bullet hole in it already, as in Dead ON arrival. Bunn's customer service was the worst!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It took months to actually get them to "fix" my brand new machine.

What brand machine(s) do you like?

Back