Slurry

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
ok dokie for the last 4 or 5 years i have tried to make decent country wines
so after all this time and every single wine i have produced, has been at first not enough to where can i get some of this an yes my friends did eat paint chips and live under power lines , so after much study i have came to the conclusion that i want some skitter pee, i read lons original recipe an dang he just had to use a few big words, that's so not right Lon ok please tell me with small slowly words tell me what a slurry is, remember short words typed very slowly please. and keep in mind any slurry i make will have to be from original not from something else, uh meaning no don't make it from part of something I've made
as you wine purest can do the ole so purfat wae,
that i a country wine maker a pure country wine po sur, we? madam, or missur, so back to hillbilly mode can i use a little lemon juice , some vintage cane sugars, may be energizer and nutrients , would that achieve a slurry of heavy fermentation i need for sketeer pee . please help for the almost helpless

DAWG:h

In beer making, slurry is the yeast from a batch saved. When you go to make another batch, you use some or all the yeast you saved from the first batch. In wine making, I'm not sure if you can reuse your yeast. I've done kit wines and then did a skeeter pee. I think that works. I'm waiting for the pro's to set me straight through.
Tom

Cannot see why there should be a significant problem in using the yeast that has been used for one batch to make a second batch of wine. In fact these yeast cells have been active and thriving (we hope) in a relatively high alcohol solution so they will have done all that they need to do to prepare themselves for the additional sugars you are now supplying them in this new batch. However, if you are going to be making a very different wine with the second batch than you made with the first batch , a batch with very different flavor characteristics and those characteristics are really very important, then adding the slurry will likely result in a less perfect second batch*** but if your goal is to make a skeeter pee then that in and of itself is perhaps a strength and not a problem. Indeed, working with a slurry will mean that the yeast will more likely be able to cope with the relatively high levels of acid that come from the lemon juice

*** brewers of beer frequently use the slurry to make one batch after another although they might wash the slurry to remove much of the flavors from a previous batch if they are planning on making a very different kind of beer...

Last edited:
A slurry is the sludge that is left over from your first racking of a wine. Yeast do not die, they just eat their fill and drop to the bottom.

YOU JUST HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD,,,,
i am racking off a few carboys of apple/pear and i get tons of sludge,
you phrased that perfect for me to get started thank you miss Julie.
at this moment i have 3 gallons of pear/apple sludge each in gallon jugs,
but i came up with enough sludge also of pear/apple in a six gallon carboy just messing around to day the sludge in the carboy i added some honey and a pretty big helping of peptic enzyme some nutrient nd some energizer, this i figure will trash out but i wont know till i try
on that slurry like i said i got 3 separate gallons and i will be giving skeeter ree a try in a 6 gallon car boy, so about how much sludge do you think i will need
thank you big time
DAWG

A slurry is the sludge that is left over from your first racking of a wine. Yeast do not die, they just eat their fill and drop to the bottom.

YOU JUST HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD,,,,
i am racking off a few carboys of apple/pear and i get tons of sludge,
you phrased that perfect for me to get started thank you miss Julie.
at this moment i have 3 gallons of pear/apple sludge each in gallon jugs,
but i came up with enough sludge also of pear/apple in a six gallon carboy just messing around to day the sludge in the carboy i added some honey and a pretty big helping of peptic enzyme some nutrient nd some energizer, this i figure will trash out but i wont know till i try
on that slurry like i said i got 3 separate gallons and i will be giving skeeter ree a try in a 6 gallon car boy, so about how much sludge do you think i will need
thank you big time
DAWG

Well, you should have it started. You have your slurry, added the honey, nutrient, etc. Don't forget to add the first of the lemon. Wait til it is closer to done to add the rest of the lemon. Make sure you keep it fairly warm, keep the O2 stirred in, give it more nutrient part way thru and it should be fine. Good luck wih it. Arne.

@hounddawg
Don't get too worried if you don't have a "slurry" available and you still want some SP. Just put all the ingredients together and throw in a packet of EC-1118 yeast. A lot of us do it that way too.
Just another option for you.

i tend to keep only 2 yeast types , EC1118 ad 116

@hounddawg
Don't get too worried if you don't have a "slurry" available and you still want some SP. Just put all the ingredients together and throw in a packet of EC-1118 yeast. A lot of us do it that way too.
Just another option for you.

I usually get about one to two quarts of slurry from a 6 gallon batch of wine, so that is how much I use. I, also found out my best skeeter pee comes from elderberry or muscadine slurries.

The slurry helps the ferment take off fast. If you use yeast to start it, don't throw all the lemon in. Start with maybe a third of the lemon you are going to use, add some more when you add the last of the nutrient and add the rest around 1.020 or so. Keeps the lemon taste up and keeps some of the acid out of the yeasts way while fermenting. Anyway, that is the way I do it and I just use it for a quick easy to drink beverage. Yours might take a bit longer to ferment with the honey instead of sugar. Keep us informed. Good luck and have fun with it, Arne.

@ Julie, have you ever tried strawberry or cherry slurries? Just add a hint to the s.p. but gives them a great flavor. Arne.

@arne no I haven't but now you got my curiously going on this.

Slurry is what the direction my speech heads once i start some serious tasting ;)

Ciao!
-jb

LOL, Skeeter Pee will do that to you and it does it without a guy realizing it. All of a sudden the words don't come out right and it isprobably time to quit drinking for a while. Arne.

I made Lon's Skeeter Pee this summer. I added the "Slurry" (about 1 1/2 quarts from the primary of a Dragon Blood) and it took off like a rabbit! It fermented out in 3 days. THREE DAYS it was done! Talk about microwave wine...this is it! Good luck Dawg.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back