Sludge anyone?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jet

Reaction score
I had to go with a new producer for my frozen sauvignon blanc. I agitated the pail periodically while it was thawing. Once thawed, I made my adjustments and stirred them in gently using my drill stirrer. I came back a few hours later to pitch the yeast, and the must appears to be 60% sediment. Is this kind of thing typical? Was I just lucky with my last producer?

wpid-2011-10-01_19-34-20_456.jpg

I didn't get any in any of my buckets that i bought from Luva Bella's

I think I would take them back to the producer. That is an awful lot of lees. You will be lucky to net 3 gallons from that. If you have a credible producer, he will replace the bucket.

I think I would take them back to the producer. That is an awful lot of lees. You will be lucky to net 3 gallons from that. If you have a credible producer, he will replace the bucket.

It was mail-order, so taking it back is not a viable option.

I was pleasantly surprised this morning to discover that the sediment has compacted down to about 2" in each primary. My mood upgraded from distraught to unhappy.

Both batches had fermentation problems and the yield from the "5.25gl" pail was 4 gallons.

The vendor looked at the pic and said he thought it was normal, but he still sent me another pail. The second pail was the same way. I mixed it with my drill attachment, waited several hours and racked off the sludge into a primary fermenter. Yield was again about 4 gallons.

Back