Slow, stuck or done?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBP

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
En Primeur Wine Series: Pinot Noir Rose
OG 1.092 (using a Tilt hydrometer)
Pitched D47 yeast, added yeast nutrient, 73 degrees (never heavy fermentation activity, but constant)
9 days later, SG 1.018 - racked to carboy
Continued slow bubbles - and SG tracked down to 1.012 before stopping 12 days later (same SG - 4 days)
Made yeast slurry with EC 1118, nutrient etc (ECKraus recipe) - added 24 hours later
SG down to 1.005 in 2 days and stopped again (4 days) - airlock bubbling once every 20 sec

My goal is a dry Rose. This has been a slow fermentation (1 month to date), very likely my originally yeast choice. Surprised the 1118 didn't take it down below 1.000.

Ideas?

SG 1.005 is getting close, but I'm sure you are looking to get down to .996 (roughly) for a nice dry Rose. If there is any activity in the airlock at all I would just leave it alone. Possibly bring it up a few degrees in temperature to make the yeast happy. You might try racking it once as I have seen renewed ferment activity after early rackings.

In any case . . . Good Luck - sounds like a nice kit. Keep us posted on your progress.

Just checking -- the more recent SG readings are with a regular glass hydrometer, correct?

Thanks for responses. I still have the Tilt in the carboy. I can check with a standard hydrometer when I get home, but I have not had any problems with my Tilt being inaccurate since I started using it (3 or 4 kits, a batch of cider and a juice bucket).

Take a sample out of your fermentation bucket, put it in a hydrometer sample test jar, shake the heck out of it to remove any dissolved CO2 that is in your sample, let it sit for a while and come to room temp and take the SG again. It won't surprise me that the dissolved CO2 is confusing the reading at least just a bit.

Take a sample out of your fermentation bucket, put it in a hydrometer sample test jar, shake the heck out of it to remove any dissolved CO2 that is in your sample, let it sit for a while and come to room temp and take the SG again. It won't surprise me that the dissolved CO2 is confusing the reading at least just a bit.
This was helpful. I took a sample this evening (Tilt reading 1.006) and tested with glass hydrometer after shaking: 0.998

Looks like CO2 was contributing to confusion. Hoping it will continue down a bit more - working in the right direction!

Thanks.

Back