slow going in the new winemaking area

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nursejohn said:
Someone, explain to me exactly how you flatten out a wine bottle. I would like to try that some weekend. It would make for a good conversation piece I think.

Just stick it in a kiln or oven. OR use a torch from the inside as to not damage the label. keep the flame moving if you use the torch. The bottle sinks in the middle but not the top or bottom.

i like Mikes method better!!!

heeheheheheheheeeeeee boy toys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yeah~~~

bottle flattners ----- heheheheheheheheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

as Waldo would say

"bawwbabawwbaaaaaaaaaaaawaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahaaaaaahaaa!

Yep, Mike's idea is a good one. Wade can buy one of those for flattening the bottles and then he will be able to haul in the black currants when they get bearing good. That truck should just about hold one picking at a time, if he picks every few days. heheheheheheheheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

bawwbabawwbaaaaaaaaaaaawaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahaaaaaahaaa!

xanxer82 said:
nursejohn said:
Someone, explain to me exactly how you flatten out a wine bottle. I would like to try that some weekend. It would make for a good conversation piece I think.

Just stick it in a kiln or oven. OR use a torch from the inside as to not damage the label. keep the flame moving if you use the torch. The bottle sinks in the middle but not the top or bottom.
My wife was flattening bottles before I started making wine. She did some interesting "experiments" with different types of bottles and different colors. The blue bottles typically seen in German white wines were some of the most popular. The trickiest part was getting the metal ring melted into the mouth so you can hang the flattened bottle on the wall like Wade has done - that's not easy to do in a 1500 degree kiln.
I can get you some if you like, I think we still have a half dozen or so - the fad came and went in about one year's time.

Holy cow Wade. Your room is spotless. Do you normally keep the carboys uncovered or was it just for the picture. I keep t-shirts over all of mine. You must have a big work table behind you that we're not seeing.Looks good!

There are no windows in that room so the only time they get any light is when Im working in there and I try and do a lot all at once. Yesterday i racked 5 wines off their sediment and then racked my peach wine out of primary into carboy. That leaves me with nothing to do but wait till the 2 grape batches finish MLF. Im ready to bottle the Chilean Malbec form Graoes though and sweeten a few batches as they are almost ready.

Every time I think my little wine hobby is getting out of hand (currently 66 gallons fermenting downstairs + several bottled batches) one of you guys puts things in perspective...

Okay I just racked many batches off their lees and hope to have enough energy to sweeten some of these up and bottle them, Some of these I just racked where the wines from grapes which I just racked onto some oak Ill let that sit for about 3 weeks and then play around with some tannins before bulk aging, they basically just finished Malo about 2-3 weeks ago.

Sorry was to busy between doing the laundry and still cleaning house also from Thanksgiving. My wife is finally starting to get better from her surgeries but not able to do much in the way of cleaning.

Hey Wade, I hope she gets feeling better. I didn't know she needed surgery. I hope it all went well. It can be very stressfull to all of you involved- even the kids. I know what you mean about racking wines- I've done around 40 carboys this week alone. Of course they are all small ones- yeah, that's it. I'm sticking to that story.............

40 carboys! I can only dream.
smiley1.gif

Rich, she had the surgery awhile ago and it went well, then, it somehow got infected and they gave her heavy duty anti biotics which didnt work either so they gave her an IV which she had to put the anti biotics in and something afterwards. She has very weak veins so after 2 days of doing that the vein would give out and they would send a niurse to the house to find another vein. This went on for about 1 1/2 weeks and then they couldnt find any more veins and it wasnt working well either so they had to open her back up, drain the knwe and keep it packed and open for about a week and also put 2 ports into her direct to do the antibiotics. They fiannly took all the packing out right before Thanks G. She is able to walk on it now.

Hope your lady is doing better. :)
How is the wine room coming along?

Wine room is totally full, wife is getting better but cant wait till things are back to normal so i can take a rest!

Here is a recent pic of my wine making area or as my wife likes to call it "The Lab"
Wine_room_recent.JPG

Back