Slow Fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ride0488

Reaction score
Started a RJS en Primeur kit with Grape Skins (Zinfandel) On Nov 4 with starting sg 1.090 temp 74.Racked at 1.010 on Nov 12.Now on day 17 it seems to be stuck at 1.000 air lock still bubbling,but sg doesn't seem to go down.Do you think this is done.

I think you should leave it alone. It could take a couple more weeks to get to .995 - .990. No harm in leaving it air tight for the next 8 weeks.

Be patient. At 1.000, it’s considered dry now but I would personally like to see the gravity drop another 10 thousands.

PM me if you’d like to chat over the phone. I’m happy to walk you through a few things.

Early in my wine making career, I naturally treated the instructions including with a kit like a recipe. Like I would if I was making a boxed cake mix. Problem is, wine kit timelines are affected by too many variables to be followed exactly.

In order to check the SG, you likely have to thief out some into a jar and use a hydrometer. You’ll be best served employing patience rather than your hydrometer. Again, just leave it alone. We know it’s already dry. We just would like it drier.

If you use “S” type air locks, you’ll know for certain it’s done when the fluid on both sides measures par. However, I’ve had wine drop a click or two after this visual confirmation of completion. As long as the side going into the fermenter is lower than the other side, CO2 is still being released and potentially still being created by active yeast.

Wait it out and let me know if you want to chat via phone.

you need to protect your wine using SO2 wine is done so add it now. a couple of thousands on hydrometer are within error tolerance of your measurement. any further fermentation would not be discernible in taste. protect you wine

PM = Private message. On the top right of your screen, there's a small icon that looks like an envelope. Click that and start a new conversation. That will send me a private message that only you and I can see. I'll share my cell phone number there.

you need to protect your wine using SO2 wine is done so add it now. a couple of thousands on hydrometer are within error tolerance of your measurement. any further fermentation would not be discernible in taste. protect you wine
This is one example of the number of potential answers you'll receive as everyone has their own opinion. My opinion is this: As long as there is still CO2 being expelled from the must/wine then it is protected. I'll spare everyone the science speak, but CO2 is heavier than air and will provide a protective blanket on undisturbed wine. No need to add Kmeta as long as you're leaving it alone.

Latest posts

Back