WineXpert Slow Fermentation with Dessert Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavesWine

Reaction score
I started one of the Winexpert Apres dessert wine, Chocolate Raspberry. I may have done a bad thing. I didn't realize that there were two packets of EC-1118, they were packed separately and I didn't think to look for two when I went to pitch the yeast, so only one packet got pitched. I started with an OG of 1.122 and I'm down to 1.024 currently after 5 days. The airlock is still bubbling, about once every 3 seconds.

Do I need to be concerned or is this moving along at a normal pace? I'm used to the other wines fermenting quicker.

Last edited:
If you haven’t added the chaptilization packet, make sure to do that per the instructions. I recently did that same kit and after chaptilization, I ended up with about 18% abv.

That's where I'm a little nervous. I haven't added the chaptalization pack yet. I'm afraid that after adding that it's going to just stop. I'm right at 1.020 now, dropped .004 since yesterday. It's just going very slowly, I hope it doesn't get stuck.

I didn't realize that there were two packets of EC-1118, they were packed separately and I didn't think to look for two when I went to pitch the yeast, so only one packet got pitched.
The 2nd packet of yeast is not absolutely necessary. My best guess is that due to the high SG of the initial wine + the boost from the chaptalization pack, the extra yeast is intended to ensure the yeast colony is large enough to handle that amount of sugar. As long as the wine continues to ferment, you do not have a problem.

I have the Global Vintners Chocolate/Raspberry Apres Kit in progress. This one surprised me, as the instructions state to stabilize on Day 14, if the SG is 1.010 or lower. This one is not necessarily intended to ferment to dryness, although mine stopped at 0.998.

I switched things up a bit -- I made a starter with a double amount of Avante instead of EC-1118, to see if I could make the wine a bit fruiter. Avante is supposedly good up to 17% ABV, so when I chaptalized, I added an EC-1118 starter. My detailed notes are here, if you're interested:

https://wine.bkfazekas.com/2022-chocolate-raspberry-port-in-detail/

@DavesWine Here are my notes from January's double batch - I used only half the yeast, just like you!

1/6 - stirred both packs of Bentonite with 2 cups hot water, added both red concentrate packs then water to 6 gallons, stirred in oak chips/dust. SG 1.108. Each kit came with 2 packs of yeast; I added only 2. If fermentation seems slow, I will add the other 2 packs.

1/12 - s.g. 1.018; added chaptilization packs and stirred well; s.g. went up to 1.035.

1/17 - s.g. .995

@winemaker81 , thanks for the information and the link, I like your site, there's a lot of information on there.
@Jovimaple , thanks for the information. I think I'm progressing about the same pace.
I may follow your lead @winemaker81 and do a starter for when I add the chaptalization pack. It just doesn't seem like it's got enough energy to chew through another round of sugar. So the existing alcohol doesn't cause an issue when introducing a bunch of new yeast?

That's where I'm a little nervous. I haven't added the chaptalization pack yet. I'm afraid that after adding that it's going to just stop. I'm right at 1.020 now, dropped .004 since yesterday. It's just going very slowly, I hope it doesn't get stuck.
From the instructions:

1. Take a sample of the wine. Use your hydrometer and test jar and check the S.G. If it is below 1.020, go to step ii. If it has not reached this reading, leave the wine, checking the gravity each day until it reaches this level before proceeding.

You're there. Add the Chaptalization pack tomorrow!

@DavesWine I did this same kit twice last year and liked it so well that I did a double batch this year. You can do a yeast starter but I don't think you will need one, at least I didn't ever need to add any more yeast.

I used my Tilt hydrometer in that batch so I was able to watch the sg start dropping almost immediately after I stirred in the chaptilization pack.

So the existing alcohol doesn't cause an issue when introducing a bunch of new yeast?
Actually it's the reverse -- a good starter produces a larger, active colony, which has more success in dealing with a high ABV.

Yeast is a living organism, and as such it's not consistent. Some is more robust than others, so the larger the colony, the larger the percentage that can handle the ABV. A good starter makes perfect sense in all situations -- if there is a counter-example, I have yet to see it.

SG got down to 1.014 late this afternoon. Added Chaptalization packet, that put me back up to 1.028. Fermentation stopped for about a couple hours but has now picked back up a little stronger than it was. I'll hold off on adding another yeast starter unless it stalls at some point above 1.010. Definitely slower than I'm used to 🐌

Latest posts

Back