Slow fermentation/1.065

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wooden

Junior
Reaction score
Hi guys, this is my first wine/mead type beverage.

Unfortunately, it has been about 2 1/2 to 3 weeks now, (fermentation started swiftly) and I am still only at 1.065. I am not impatient here, just worried that I might not have a healthy ferment to complete the ferment (would like to ferment dry and back-sweeten to taste).

I believe fermentation is still active (wine is very bubbly and some airlock activity) but I am concerned that this could be the start of a stuck fermentation.

Recipe/procedure below:

Maple wine (made from unfiltered maple sap cooked down to OG of 1.092.

OG: 1.092
Current gravity: 1.065
Yeast: lalvin D47 (rehydrated per mfr instructions)
Yeast nutrient: 1 tsp/gal
Acid blend: 1 tsp/gal
Fermentation temp: 65 deg F

Procedure: I cooled the must to pitching temp with a wort chiller, then poured aggressively into fermenter (bucket) and stirred to aerate must.

I placed an airlock on the fermenter (perhaps this is where I went wrong).

Wine right now tastes good, just way too sweet. I would like to get a full ferment, fermenting to dry and then backsweetening.

Here are my ideas/options I am aware of (please suggest to me which technique/combination of techniques would be appropriate, and in which sequence)

A) aerate/stir must (will I oxidize though?)
B) add yeast nutrient
C) add yeast energizer
D) pitch a more aggressive yeast (EC-1118/KV-1116/Pasteur Champagne/Premier
Cuvée?)
E) some combination of A,B,C, and D (please specify!)
F) Other
G) Pitch another pack of D-47? And more nutrient, or some variation of this?

Thanks,

Wooden

Last edited:
I would remove the airlock. Fermentation requires oxygen and an airlock would prevent that from happening. I would stir it daily also to ensure ample oxygenation when testing the gravity levels. Once it gets down to around 1.000, I would then rack and begin using an airlock.

Ok I have stirred... And instantly a nice lil "zzzz noise" could be heard and a krausen immediately appearedv

How do you keep the nasties out? Because of this I have put the cover and airlock back on. Will this work, if I stir it, say 2x a day? (I could even stir 3 or 4 times if really needed....)

Or do I HAVE to keep the fermenter open?

Do you use cheesecloth or leave the cover on and just remove the airlock itself leaving a lil hole in the bucket?

I live in a dusty old house and although I have only seen mice in the fall, it's just not the cleanest environment in the world. Also insects could be an issue.

I have also fermented kombucha in the same room as well and would be concerned by the possibility of lactobacillus or acidophilus or the like bacterias from the kombucha getting in there .... (All the shelves are wooden and the yeasts/bac could live in there)

Any way I can aerate well enough w/o going cover less? (Like can I open it, stir, and then put the cover back on?) and stir couple times a day??

I would be way more comfortable with this if I could at least keep it covered most of the time

Thanks,

Wooden

Last edited:
I just place the lid back on the bucket without snapping it down. (I do not cover the little hole either) That said, many people just put a cloth over the top of it preventing anything from getting in. The cloth (say a t-shirt) allows more oxygen, so you could do that. I think some people use a large rubber band to hold it on, though I've seen pictures where some just lay it across the top.

Thanks Dave,

So at this point you would not suggest adding more nutrient or yeast energizer?

Thanks,

Wooden

Thanks Dave,

So at this point you would not suggest adding more nutrient or yeast energizer?

Thanks,

Wooden

Sorry, that's a question for one of the more experienced winemakers. My most recent fruit wine was the first time I used nutrients for yeast. The kits I've used don't require it. (I believe it's pre-added to the must)

Latest posts

Back