Slow Ferment

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pete1325

Reaction score
Hi, quick question. We pressed last week on Sunday, the SG was around 1.8. the last few days the temps dropped in my house, the must is around 65 degrees. The SG hardly changed. I did not pitch any cultured yeast, all natural/native yeast. My question is; should I pitch a commercial yeast or maybe try to raise the temps to see if that won't get it going?? When pressed it seemed to be fermenting pretty nice. I have the must in two 6 gallon plastic buckets (I use to transport) the lids are placed on top, not snapped close, just to keep the nasties out. I stir daily. Thanks for any input.

is the sg actually 1.080? I assume white wine? I would raise the temp to at least 70-75 degrees to see if it starts. also some yeast nutrient would help the nataive yeast get started. if still no results in about three days use a commercial yeast.

I just notice that you pressed the wine already thus I assume there are no skins in the must. the skins are were the natural yeast is resident. might not be much to get wine started naturally.

Never thought of that. although it was fermenting pretty good shortly after we pressed. I'll heat it u a bit and see what happens. My thoughts are to pitch some yeast. Thanks for the input.

We crushed Monday, 9/21 the must sat on the skins until the following Sunday 9/27 when we pressed. Punching down twice a day. So they fermented basically for a week. We made close to 250 gallons total. Zin and Cab this year. I normally don't blend until dry, or keep the single wine type.

It actually started at around 1.095, give or take. so hence my concern. I put a space heater on the buckets and pitched some yeast and nutrients it seems to be bubbling so I think I'll be fine. Thanks for everyone's input. I might have panicked a wee bit this morning.

It actually started at around 1.095, give or take. so hence my concern. I put a space heater on the buckets and pitched some yeast and nutrients it seems to be bubbling so I think I'll be fine. Thanks for everyone's input. I might have panicked a wee bit this morning.

Probably the right choice. Although they are often done, native ferments have to be monitored carefully.

what is the sg now?

If you do want any help, it would be best to answer Sal's question.

Checked SG this morning, it's at 1.055 +/_. The juice is at 64 degrees. I put the heater back on it to warm it up a few degrees. it did get a little chilly last night. It's still slower than I'm used for my wine from grapes. Onward and upward.

raising the temp good idea I would try to get it at least 70-75degF I would suggest adding some yeast nutrient might help the natural yeast along.

Latest posts

Back