Skittle Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
crap i made 5 gallons of this stuff last night and my SG was 1.15, i threw in the yeast i think it was cote des blancs, don't have the notes with me now, but i'm hoping the yeast will not be over powered.

the wax layer sucked, but this smelled incredible last night.

Place mine in freezer for a few hours removed most of wax but as you see from my photo its still there. I did not add any sugar until I let it sit for awhile was at 1.070 gave it a little boost. My house still smells of skittles....

really nervous about the hgh SG on the initial reading. that plus the reading i did today that the cotes des blancs yeast tops out at 14%. i suppose i worry too much, just don't want to stick the fermentation, aside from introduction my oxygen anything i can do to help the little engine that could?

really nervous about the hgh SG on the initial reading. that plus the reading i did today that the cotes des blancs yeast tops out at 14%. i suppose i worry too much, just don't want to stick the fermentation, aside from introduction my oxygen anything i can do to help the little engine that could?
only thing is time and maybe stir once in awhile. just stired mine today looks nasty on top lol...

bubbling away nicely, i cracked it open over the weekend and peeled all of the wax layer off with a slotted spoon. going good, we'll see how low she goes.

Just checked on mine SG 1.095 now 1.020 not bad for 5 days... Also removed wax from top... By weekend I will be moving it to carboy...

Last edited:

This right here is a problem(ish). My suggestion on this wine is to not add sugar or yeast for a day, let the skittles completely absorb before you test the sg (so add everything but sugar and yeast). My batch--6+ gallons--sat in primary fermentation for a LOOOOONG time because my initial recorded SG was wayyy lower than it ended up being; it was completely done fermenting (with an alcohol percentage around 18%) when I thought it was around 6%. As a result it overoxidized and was tasting plasticy, so I ended up dumping a lot of it (kept a gallon because, hey, maybe age will help). Next batch I'll do 1-3 gallons and be more careful with my readings/timing of them...

I also plan to do a skittle/zin port next year!

Update: Wine is bottle

that is gorgeous! did you add food coloring to get that nice red color? was it sweet enough or did you back sweeten?? i'm thinking i need to wash some bottles this week to get ready, i think we started the batches about the same time.

that is gorgeous! did you add food coloring to get that nice red color? was it sweet enough or did you back sweeten?? i'm thinking i need to wash some bottles this week to get ready, i think we started the batches about the same time.
No food coloring just welches grape juice and 3 small bags of skittles to back sweeten. Final sg was. 992 with back sweeting made it up to 1.005. Filtered and bottled. Taste great... next is red licorice. :)

Hi All, I have just joined and only just bought a few demijohns, I hope to get into making some wines very soon. In the past I have made skittle Vodka and I actually used a new, sanitized pair of Nylons to filter the wax scum from the liquid.

No food coloring just welches grape juice and 3 small bags of skittles to back sweeten. Final sg was. 992 with back sweeting made it up to 1.005. Filtered and bottled. Taste great... next is red licorice. :)

Jim, how did you make out with all the wax? I'm currently at the clearing stage and my LBS only had chitosan, no kieselol, so after stabalizing, degassing and adding the chitosan, the wax is floating to the top and there's quite a thick layer of it. Did yours do this? Also, when you backsweeten with more skittles, I'm assuming you get more wax again? How much wax can you still see before filtering?
Thanks,
Kim

Jim, how did you make out with all the wax? I'm currently at the clearing stage and my LBS only had chitosan, no kieselol, so after stabalizing, degassing and adding the chitosan, the wax is floating to the top and there's quite a thick layer of it. Did yours do this? Also, when you backsweeten with more skittles, I'm assuming you get more wax again? How much wax can you still see before filtering?
Thanks,
Kim

Kim I did not clear mine until after filtering. Before I stabilized I filtered with a 5 micron filter then back sweetened then after they dissolved I filter again but before filtering this time I lowered temp to about 65. Then raised temp and cleared to what my images show.

Jolly Rancher Wine ?

I am not even sure if Zima is still made. When they only had the "plain" flavor I would drop in a Jolly Rancher for Flavor. Hearing about Skittle wine made me wonder if you could make Jolly Rancher wine. I was thinking the watermelon, apple or cherry could be really good.

If there is no recipe out there, I was thinking trying to melt the ranchers in boiling water, let it cool and follow the Skittle recipe ???

just transferred mine to a carboy, mine was nowhere near as clear as the pic on the last page. it's more of a cloudy pink color, but the sample taken was delicious, definitely a dessert wine as my adding too much sugar at the start left residuals behind. what type of filtration unit have people used on this to clear it better?

I didn't use any filtering but you'll definitely want to hit with super clear or something similar.

My first batch sat there looking like grapefruit juice for weeks until I added super clear. After about 48 hours most of the solids had dropped out and it started to actually look like wine.

I used a whole house filter on mine but after it had finished fermenting and backed sweetened with more skittles. Helped remove all the wax. Then hit it with super kleer... That is all...

Latest posts

Back