Skittle Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made the Starburst wine but what I did to get most of the wax out is by after melting the candy down, I let it sit for a week. But a couple times a day, I used a spoon to take the wax layer off of the top.

Last edited:
started the starburst wine yesterday, i thought i had taken care of all of the wax by freezing it, but i went downstairs this morning to find the top 1/4 of my primary full of a waxy looking substance. I'll take a picture when i get home.

What yeasts have you all used to make this? Thinking K1V-1116.

It's weird it's not a wax layer. It's more like a fruit cap of some sort but I'm not seeing any activity 24 hours in. Has anyone else had trouble getting the starburst batch going?

image-2670810934.jpg

I would take the airlock off and try and stir it up a little.

I worried too early about this one, the yeast took off in 24 hours and had enough steam to fill the air lock, i've since replaced it with some mesh and a rubber band i'll let that go for a few days till the ferment subsides.

So, like one of the early repliers, I've found the initial recipe to be way too high in brix level. By almost two hundred percent.
Rather than adding sugar by recipe, I added by 1/4 c each addition and took hydrometer readings till I got to the desired SG.
I also treated it as a white wine with which I subjected to a cold fermentation bath; wherein I left the carboy (once fermentation already began) in a larger vessel containing water and exchanged ice packs in the water twice daily.

I'll post more of my specific notes when I can get to them; but here's a picture of my cleared wine. I was absolutely fascinated by this topic originally, and read all twenty pages of it in the middle of the night when I first came across it. I'm very surprised to see mine turned out straw yellow instead of most people's red, especially since prior to fining, it was the same grapefruit pink as everyone else's.

Cheers,
James

image-318788466.jpg

James, My Skittle wine turned out the same color as yours. It all depends on the amount of color candies you have. We must of had more yellow and orange candies than the others.

James~Please post your one gallon recipe & notes when you get the chance. I'd like to try making a gallon first since it seems a lot of issues can come up... ;) And yours seems to have cleared pretty well!

Mine was dark red, must just be the skittles you get in your bag. I did original recipe and it's been done for a while now. It taste bad at first but after it sat for a while, I was happy I did the 5 gal. Either way you will go through some trouble with it so I recommend doin the 5 gal. You'll be happy you did. Just be sure to freeze the melted skittles before fermentation to remove alot of wax, it helps alot!

JoyofWine said:
James~Please post your one gallon recipe & notes when you get the chance. I'd like to try making a gallon first since it seems a lot of issues can come up... ;) And yours seems to have cleared pretty well!

I'm scheduled to bottle on 4/20/2013, can you wait till then so I can give full notes from beginning to end? Just two more weeks...

You know, I wonder if the color is from the grape juice concentrate people are using?
It just occurred to me that no one has really stated clearly which they used in conjunction with their photos. I used white grape juice, and will be posting my recipe and method later today after I've bottled my straw yellow wine.
Lets all start posting the exact brand and type of concentrate with pictures of the finished wine.
Even given the chance difference in amounts of certain colors of skittles in each of our wines, I cannot believe we are having as great a difference in color as we have been. For the most part, most of our musts appear to be similarly colored; and I haven't seen one photo of the melted skittle "stew" that looks much different from another.

I'm doing a small batch of both red and white. The first one was a red. I have the white going now. Whichever tastes better I will make a 6gal batch..

Vintage Raelity method for Skittles Wine (1 gallon):

{Vintner's Note: Remember, no recipe can ever outproduce good sense. Use this as a guideline, but remember your training. If something sounds implausible, there may be a reason for that. Follow blindly at your own risk. [that's just good life advice...]}

I approached this wine as one would a white. The intention is to preserve as much fruity flavors as possible, which means a slow and cold fermentation. I was seeking an alcohol content between 11.5-12% vol. Furthermore, prior to beginning, I expected to ferment this to dry, and simply make a dry wine, in opposition to most people's approach on this thread. However, in the midst of making the wine, the sweetness prior to completing the fermentation was delectable. I ended up still fermenting to dry, and backsweetened part of my batch so to make the end result of both ways.

Ingredients:
  1. 3/4 lb Skittles
  2. 8.4 oz Welch's 100% white grape juice concentrate (not diluted)
  3. 1 gallon drinking water
  4. 1 tsp pectic enzyme (powder)
  5. 1/4 tsp wine tannin
  6. 1 tsp yeast nutrient
  7. 1 tsp acid blend
  8. 1 packet yeast, EC-1118 (though, I suggest a slower yeast strain, such as Cote Des Blancs or Montrachet)
  9. 2 2/3 cups granulated sugar (add incrementally until your own readings hit your desired brix levels)
  10. 1/4 tsp amylase enzyme
  11. 1/4 tsp potassium sorbate
  12. 1 package Super-Kleer
  13. 2 Campden Tablets

image-2265.jpeg

Boil 32oz of the drinking water in a large enough pot to incorporate all skittles and grape juice concentrate, and still be able to stir without concern of spilling. Once water comes to a boil, remove from heat, add skittles and stir constantly till fully dissolved. Let cool slightly, then add grape juice concentrate without diluting with water as its directions dictate.

img_6986-2257.jpg

Let mixture cool to room temperature, then store in refrigerator overnight (at least six hours) to harden top wax layer.

Skim wax layer off top of liquid. Pour mixture into primary fermentor. Add pectic enzyme, wine tannin, yeast nutrient, and acid blend. Mix well.

Take hydrometer reading. Based on your desired alcohol content, determine whether or not you will need to utilize chaptalization (adding sugar to must). You almost undoubtedly will need to add sugar. Add sugar incrementally, by small portions, stirring until dissolved, then take hydrometer readings after additions until you've reached your desired brix level.
My recipe ended up using 2.66 cups of granulated sugar resulting in a specific gravity of 1.090 (11.7% Alc/Vol), whereas the original recipe called for 4.33 cups of sugar. That's nearly doubling the amount, which quite accounts for the several stuck fermentations written of in this thread.

img_7141-2262.jpg

At this point, it is prudent to note that I have mixed the preparation of red and white wines together. Rather than immediately going into a carboy for fermentation, as one usually does with a white, I left it covered in the primary fermentor for the first four days. This was a personal decision, and needn't necessarily be followed. I did, however, have access to remove some of the thickening buildup on the top of the must once fermentation began by doing this.

img_7021-2259.jpg

Next, I added the yeast directly to the must. Though I suggest priming the yeast in 2oz of warm water for fifteen minutes prior to pitching. You may simply add to the top of the must, no need to stir.

img_7197-2263.jpg

image1-2268.jpeg

After full fermentation begins, rack to a sanitized carboy, leaving enough room for fermentation to continue. (Do not add SO2/Campden Tablets at this point) Subject to cold bath by placing carboy in larger vessel filled with enough water to come up less than the shoulders of the carboy. Add ice to the bath; the best method is to use several plastic water bottles that can be placed in the water bath, then switched out with other bottles, and refreezed in a constant rotation.

Check hydrometer readings every few days, as well as slight taste tests of must as it's fermenting to get an idea of where it's going. At any time, you may decide the sweetness is at a point you'd rather stop and preserve rather than continuing to ferment. If so, simply add 1/4 tsp of potassium sorbate, stir to mix.

Once hydrometer readings get close to 1.000 SG, stir in amylase enzyme. (I hit 1.011 SG on my eighteenth day)

Once 1.000 SG is reached (my twentieth day), add potassium sorbate and stir to mix. You may allow must to continue fermentation until it stops. I was pleased with my tastings when I hit 1.000, so I added the potassium sorbate.

image2-2266.jpeg

The following day, add Super-Kleer as per its directions.
If you intend to backsweeten your wine, wait to add Super-Kleer until after you've added your sweetening liquid to your taste, making sure your fermentation has been halted by the potassium sorbate. Mix 8 parts drinking water to 3 parts skittles to 2 parts grape juice concentrate, using the same method of boiling as your initial must required. Begin taste tests to see how much backsweetening liquid you need to add to your wine. I found 5oz of backsweetening liquid for each 750ml bottle was perfect.

Once wine has cleared and lees have settled, rack into sanitized carboy adding one crushed campden tablet. (two days for me)

Let sit for five weeks, submitting to cold stabilization if you have room in your refrigerator for the third and fourth weeks. Remove from refrigerator and let sit at room temperature (70*F or less, but no more than 75*F) for one week.

image3-2267.jpeg

Unlike my directions state, I added the backsweetening liquid at this point. Obviously not the best idea if you're looking for a clear wine, as it will make it as cloudy as it was before the Super-Kleer. But, as one never quite knows what to expect when trying a wine for the first time, you may change your mind as to whether you want sweet or dry wine in the midst of the entire affair.

When the five weeks are complete, sanitize your bottles. The cold stabilization should have helped eliminate tartrate crystals from forming in your bottles, as they will now have formed in your carboy and fallen with the lees. Rack wine to sanitized carboy, adding one crushed campden tablet.

img_3145-2269.jpg

Siphon wine into bottles, then cork.
Let the bottles stand upright for three days before placing on their side or upside down to age.

Bottle age for three to six months.

That brings us about as far as I am. So, unfortunately, I have yet to give results on whether I'd prefer and/or suggest it dry or sweet. But hopefully this has been helpful and will guide some people along the right path to how they want their wine to turn out.
Again, remember that there is no replacement for your own judgement, experience, and taste.

If I was not interested before, photoactivist post just sold me on this!
I just have to wait for my bluepom to finish in my fermenting bucket and I can start a batch next week.
I might have to tweek just a bit, since I dont have the time to be as labor intensive as you are.

but kudos to you for your spot on directions! :dg

Quick question, I cant get grape concentrate in South Africa, could I through in some white grapes as a substitute? If so how much?

Latest posts

Back