Skipping first rack of white wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustinTG

Reaction score
Most of the go-to literature says that when making white from grapes, the process is crush->press->wait some time->rack->pitch yeast/ start ferment.

Does anyone have experience pitching yeast right after pressing? The reason I ask is because we'll be fermenting in a garage in western New York and if it is too hot, I'm a bit nervous leaving unprotected and non fermented juice in the tank. I know that even fermenting at high temps is not a good idea, but I figured if the weather isn't cooperating, it's the lesser of two evils.

Good to know. FWIW, we will be barrel aging and racking at least one more time in late winter, which I was hoping would make up for the skipped racking after pressing.

I have done this both times I've made a white (chenin blanc and chardonnay) and with a mourvedre rosé, all three turned out fantastic. I'll be trying the 'traditional' method that you outlined in March as it'll be the same Chardonnay fruit as this year. Will be interesting to compare as our weather patterns look like they're going to be very similar over the southern summer to last season.

I have done this both times I've made a white (chenin blanc and chardonnay) and with a mourvedre rosé, all three turned out fantastic. I'll be trying the 'traditional' method that you outlined in March as it'll be the same Chardonnay fruit as this year. Will be interesting to compare as our weather patterns look like they're going to be very similar over the southern summer to last season.
Thanks for sharing. I've talked to a couple others and most seem to do it by the traditional method, but nobody has seemed to have done it the other way to compare. Please do share your results when you can; I am interested to get a paired data point!

The purpose is to get a cleaner ferment, avoiding compounds from being extracted from organic matter that you wouldn’t otherwise get. I could also see having additional matter creating a higher risk of developing H2S. If the fruit was good and your press had a screen for the juice before it was collected, probably low risk and if logistics demanded it, I would probably do the same.

When I started wine making years ago, pre internet by a few decades, we did not have the resources we do today
we always pitched right away
now days I wait 24 hours, seems to make a better wine. but If I was worried about wild yeast I would pitch asap

Back