Skip Secondary?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eyeguy

Reaction score
I had recently began a CC Riesling/Gewart blend kit that tasted so good after only completing secondary ferment and clearing for a couple weeks that I rushed out and got another one. The first kit I fermented at a very low temp in primary, took 2 weeks. This second kit I fermented in the same spot which due to spring is now about 5 degress warmer AND for what ever reason this batch went gang-busters. Based on some advice I only shake the primary pale to mix during primary ferment since there are no grapes or skins with this kit. I wanted to rack it into secondary this weekend (8 days) but had some things come up so it was not racked until yesterday (12 days). I knew very little, if any, gas was being produced but hoped since I never opened it and slushed some gas out of the juice periodically it was still protected enough. My question is when I racked it yesterday out of primary it had a SG of 0.993 (Yikes). Needless to say it has yet to show ANY signs that it is still fermenting in carboy now. I had a thought to just stabilize it at the same time as I racked it out of primary due to this reading BUT I decided not to mainly since lots of the sediment was still suspended, so I want to let it drop out a little first.
Is there any harm if you know your wine is totally dry (by mistake in this case) to just stabilize when you first rack it into the carboy (out of primary)? I figure this would save excess air exposure of another racking of this white wine.

ooops

Sorry about the additional thread....I used the "search" function for "skip secondary fermentation" and a couple other options and never saw the 2 threads already about that. Then once I posted in the "other suggested threads area" at the bottom of this one I see the other two threads.:s:s:s:s

You probably already got your question answered.

Make sure the SG reading does not change for 3 days in a row before you consider fermentation completed. .993 is low, but it might want to go lower... can't say without taking 3 readings.

Basically, you have fermented to dry in the primary fermentor. Lots of us do that with certain wines. Now that it is in the carboy, let it set for about a week, so the sediment will drop out.

Eyeguy:

Not important for this thread, but in future please indicate which CC kit you are making...Cellar Craft (multiple lines), Cellar Classic (regular, Harvest or Winery Series), or California Connoisseur.

For some questions, knowing the exact kit will help folks to give you the best answer.

Steve

I've had fermentations get away from me!! Just make sure you are topped up when you transfer off the sediment, because there won't be a blanket of gas to protect it. You might still see occasional bubbling in the airlock as it degasses, though.

Debbie

Latest posts

Back