Skeeterpee Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheng

Junior
Reaction score
....... the Skeeterpee recipe says to add yeast nutrient and yeast energizer and another bottle of Real Lemon when SG=1.050 is reached.

By the recipe instructions you start with SG=1.070

What I would like to know is if you start with SG=1.130 for example, does this changes the time to add the yeast nutrients and yeast energizer ?

Any feedback would be very much appreciated .......

We usually add The rest of the nutrient and energizer after about a third of the sugar has been used up. If you start with that high of a gravity, tho, bet we are going to hear from you again later in the ferment. Probably my ferment will not finish out, it is stuck. Might have oder problems along with it. Anyway, good luck with your project. Arne.

Out of curiosity why do you want to increase the sg to 1.130? You have good chance of having a stuck fementation with that sg. Also, Skeeter Pee was designed to be an easy drinking wine. I am not sure if the lemon flavor would be able to compete with high alcohol.

....... the thing is that I'm using the Skeeterpee recipe just as a basic guideline.

I'm not using Real Lemon as well, in fact I tried several kinds of fruit juice and for what I've experienced Pineapple worked out pretty good for me as a white fruit wine.

Always started my batches with an ABV 15%-16% same as the batch I'm making right now, but this one is taking longer than usually.

I started this batch with SG=1.124 and it's 20 days now and I'm down to SG=1.060

Usually by this time I racked it already, but this is probably the case because my yeast is not fresh anymore.

Anyway, what Arne said is what I wanted to know, feeding the nutrients after the sugar has been eaten up about a third.

I started SG=1.124 which means I could add the nutrients at about SG=1.080 - Is this correct ?

Like I said I'm now at SG=1.060 and I'm going to add another 1 liter of Pineapple juice tomorrow together with the yeast nutrient and energizer and hope that it will ferment dry like always.

Thank you guys for the feedback and I'll let you know how it went .......

Latest posts

Back